-
Senior Member
registered user
I am new to linux and after looking for a suitable distribution to start learning, I have decided to use knoppix installed in my HD.
Looking at different distributions, I know that the linux kernel is common to everyone, but depending of the distro,
That is correct.
I think there are certain konsole commands that are particular to each version, for example "apt-get" for Debian, "emerge" for Gentoo and so on.
Debian's apt-get/dpkg and Gentoo's emerge are high level software package managment tools & yes they are specific to a particular breed of linux distros. Something to remember is that apt-get is NOT specific to just Debian or Debian based distros like Knoppix or Mepis. Apt-get/synaptic is a front-end to Debian's dpkg system. As a front end, it can and is used on RPM based distros like redhat & suse.
but is there anywhere specific information about Knoppix (Debian) thant explains well the particularities of these distros???
I gather that you are looking for more info on Debian package management. Here is a Apt HOWTO http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.htmland FAQs on Debian package management http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html.
If you are looking for books about Knoppix:
NewsForge | Review: "Knoppix Hacks" - I wrote this review. The author, Kyle Rankin, also posts on this forum. Great book for experienced people or people not afraid to experiment.
"Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!" - Even though I am not a newbie
(I'm a Unix & Linux sysadmin), I bought this book. Great for newbies.
As for 64 bit Debian, Knoppix based KANOTIX has a 64bit LiveCD available.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By yozef in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 20
Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:27 AM
-
By pap2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:05 PM
-
By dewd in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By estranged in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM
$17.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter
$34.99