Hello again!

By the way, I live in Spain....
Then you probably don't know about talking horses. "Mr. Ed" was an American TV comedy about a beautiful and intelligent horse that talked - but only to one person. (http://epguides.com/MrEd) It originally ran from 1961 to 1965, the years that I was in grades 1 - 5 after we moved to a new house.

So I was the new kid, and they called me Mr. Ed. It was supposed to be an insult - but the horse was smarter than most people, so I didn't feel insulted. Now I'm back in the same house. Those kids aren't around any more, so I enjoy calling myself Mr. Ed.

(By the way, they made the horse look like he was talking by putting peanut butter in his mouth. You can do this with other animals, too. They like peanut butter, so it's not really torture, but when it sticks to the roof of their mouth they have to smack their mouths open and shut to get the peanut butter onto their tongue so they can swallow it.)

So what were we talking about? Oh yes, Linux! I just remembered the fourth line of Debian releases, experimental. They don't mention it on the main page about releases, but you may see it in the download archives.

I´ve seen also that Progeny doesn´t have support for AMD64, which is my mew PC. Does sarge have this platform implemented??
At this point, Progeny is sarge (plus Discover). The Progeny website may say what they'll do in the future when sarge moves from testing to stable, but I don't know. For now, just think of Progeny as sarge but lumped into groups of software packages.

Now about Debian and AMD64 - yes and no. Officially, no, according to their page at http://www.es.debian.org/ports/amd64. But now that I'm looking, there is a net-install iso for it. Hooray

(You can also go to www.distrowatch.com and see what processors are supported by any of 393 Linux distros. Unfortunately, you can only search by the distribution's name, not by its features. Still, it's a great resource, even if it doesn't mention AMD64 for Debian.)

Sarge-from-Debian or Progeny Debian? (They call it this on their website.) For you and me and "i386," I think the main difference is how easy they are to install on our machines considering both hardware compatibility and any download problems.

Businesses may prefer Progeny because after it's installed they only have to update the modules they already chose - no decisions to make.

If you install Debian-from-Debian, it will let you pick which download sites are closest to you. Progeny has only one site, but after you install, it's very easy to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change that to something from http://www.debian.org/mirror/list. (Or you can leave it pointing to Progeny, of course.)

Maybe someone will convince you that I'm completely wrong, and you'll find something much better! But if not, here's a suggested plan:True to the Wisdom of Unix, "There Is (Always!) More Than One Way To Do It":
  • 1 - try sarge-amd64-netinst.iso;
    2 - if AMD64 doesn't work but downloading from the US seems okay and you don't want to face all the Debian-Debian choices, try pd2de-rc2-1.iso.
You may also see sarge-i386-businesscard.iso (34.1 MB) at http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimag...e_d-i/i386/rc2 - this is mentioned on http://www.es.debian.org/devel/debian-installer, but I don't know any more about it.

If sarge-AMD64 doesn't work for you today, it may in the near future. Then it's simple to just add it as an option at boot time, whether you are then running Debian or anything else - even with no Linux installed and just Windows.

Are those enough choices for now? If not, maybe you'd like to try a BSD Unix - they already have good support for AMD64:And you can also check http://www.amd64.org!

Need more "help"? Just ask!

-- Ed