-
sound card problem
The following errer occurred running the modprode program:
/lib/modules-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/viacxxx_audio.o: init_module: No such device.
/lib/modules-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/viacxxx_audio.o: insmod
/lib/modules-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/viacxxx_auddio.o failed
/lib/modules-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/viacxxx_audio.o: insmod sound-slot-failed
It was detected by prog but can't work
help thank you
regards
roger
-
Do you know what sound chip your motherboard is using? From what I remember, via sound support on Linux is really bad, and that's the reason I got myself an SBLive.
-
sound card problem
The chip is a on board via sound chip on a amd system. Wonder is there any driver for it it was detected ok by sound configure. I think it is short of the driver.
-
From what I can tell, it is probably the via 82xx (can't remember the exact thing) sound chip. The drivers that come with the kernel are mediocre.
Did you try running the program sndconfig?
-
Hi, I've got the same problem with my via card. i've tried sndconfig but no luck with that either. does anyone know if the ALSA drivers are any better? I'm using Knoppix 3.1. thanks
-
IIRC when I last tried it in November 2002, they worked. But with a little tweaking. Given that it was 6 months ago, thing could have changed now. Download it and try
-
problem solved, linked alsa-detect, or something like that in /etc/init.d to /etc/rc.5, works like a charm
-
Senior Member
registered user
right on
Thanks alexcg for posting your solution. It's nice to see that some people don't forget to come back once their problems are solved. Although I have no personal interest in how you did it (because I just have dinosaur hardware) perhaps you could be a little more detailed (if you recall) on exactly what and how you linked alsa-detect? I think this post could be a big help to alot of people w/ via.
-
Senior Member
registered user
finally sound form my via, but snap crackle and pop
Thanks, all, for this wonderful project.
Great kudos to Fabian Franz for alsa.
With the new downolad 3.2-2003-04-15 and alsa in my syslinux.cfg I can play mps's and waves but there is constant cracking static!
I tend to think is a software interupt problem and not a short in my new board. Should I try a different dirver (and if so -- how
) or give in and get a real sound board?
Best Wishes
paradocs
-
Senior Member
registered user
Static solved alsa sound support
I found that the sound drivers work perfectly. The poping noise was form using unsupported codex -- i.e. 32kb/s at 22050 kHz sounded very bad. But more standard bit rates worked perfectly for mp3 files.
Here is the beginning of my syslinux.cfg that resides on my boot floppy:
DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix home=scan wheelmouse alsa lang=us
My mainboard is a VIA EPIA-M Mini-ITX and the sound is VIA VT1616 6 channel AC'97 Codec.
Again, thanks to all.
Best Wishes
Similar Threads
-
By endre in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM
-
By AZN in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 01:56 PM
-
By RonS in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 02:17 AM
-
By lazzarig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM
-
By ajstrauss in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99