Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: ethernet problem

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    wasn't it in the header of the forum........

    what does a lspci show, as it seems the nic has failed, does it still show ?
    also, with the cat5 plugged, does the port light up to show net detection ? this also shows on the router end.
    apart from if it is alive and lighting, it might be still dead inside, lights on, no-one's home.

    in the router, does it have an 'attached devices' option to show the DHCP is working?
    in the logs (fingers crossed) can you see the mac address requesting an IP.?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re. Ethernet Problem

    If you still haven't resolved this yet, try swapping the outlets on the router/hub. Plug the network cable of the knoppix computer into one of the outlets of the working windows machine.

    I have seen a failure on a combined router/hub before (also after a power cut) where a particular hub outlet was faulty
    (no connectivity) even though the LED against the port indicated a connection.
    HTH

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    Problem solved.

    I inserted a new network card and got pretty much the same error messages that
    I received with the existing network interface. So I went back to assuming the
    problem is software, not hardware.

    Then I started looking for some network control in the window manager and found
    knoppix->network/interface->network interface configure (note: I'm not on the
    knoppix pc right now, so I may not have the exact names in the menus correct).
    I configured the network card and ran 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' to map
    a route to my router. And then everything worked find.

    Bottom line is that when I lost power, I lost my network interface card configuration
    and I forgot to reset it.

    Thanks to everyone for adding their thoughts and suggestions.

    Jim Anderson

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jjanderson5
    Problem solved......Then I started looking for some network
    control in the window manager and found
    knoppix->network/interface->network interface configure ....
    I configured the network card and ran 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' to map
    a route to my router. And then everything worked find.

    Bottom line is that when I lost power, I lost my network interface card configuration
    and I forgot to reset it.......
    Thanks for the update and it's good to know that the problem is resolved. The thing is, I've very confused about what you just said and I would like to uderstand it better to be able to help others or in case I ever run across this myself. You're talking about some sort of setting, apparently to Knoppix, that I've never had to do. And in your very first post you started this whole discussion with
    Quote Originally Posted by jjanderson5
    I've been running Knoppix 3.7 from CDROM on my PC for about 2 months. .....
    I've always been able to boot the Knoppix CD and it's set itself up by DHCP. We don't need no stinkin' "route add default gw" command. It has worked this way for me on several different computers and on maybe a half dozen different routers. So I'm hard pressed to understand why booting from a Live CD you need this command (and how you even determined that you need it). And why when booting from a live CD you would not do this each time, if you have to do it at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Strange problem with PCI Ethernet NIC
    By rolfhub in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM
  3. Ethernet Problem
    By Tharkun in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 12:05 AM
  4. network connection problem with zoom-adsl ethernet
    By kubikanber in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
  5. Linksys wireless ethernet card problem
    By Kriil in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Unclaimed Cloud Managed Security Appliance Firewall SD-WAN picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Unclaimed Cloud Managed Security Appliance Firewall SD-WAN

$119.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99