Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I say The Dream IS Here

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    I say The Dream IS Here

    Hello Fellow Knoppix Users,

    I'm a relative Knoppix newbie here with some thoughts I'd like to share. I was thinking last night how far I've come with Knoppix Linux in a pretty short time and how my HD installation is just what I want, although it is a different package than what came on the CD.

    Knoppix 3.7 on my desktop was at first a way to avoind Windoze online vulnerabilites. I was happy with just that. I didn't venture too much beyond net surfing and email with it. I thought installing Thunderbird to both Windoze and Knoppix and then configuring TBird to share the Windoze inboxes was just the cats meow.

    But as I continued to explore its features I found that I could rip and burn CDs just as well in Knoppix as in Windoze XP with K3B. And they play great with Kaffeine media player.

    I didn't like Open Office that much (TOO SLOW!!!) so I removed it and installed Abiword plus a lot of supporting packages. It is very fast and more capable in Open Office. It reads all my WordPerfect files!!! Amazing.

    At this point about the only thing I can't do in Knoppix that I can do in XP is when I need the very advanced photo editing features of Photoshop 7. But for the vast majority of my photo editing needs are happily met with Xnview and Gimp, which is pretty powerful. I will have to investigate wine for that.

    And secure? I wanted a secure OS. With Arno's firewall script running, my installation is more secure than Fort Knox. I'm totally stealthed!!!

    So, I say the dream is here. Certainly for me at least. Maybe not for Mom and Pop users, but available for the taking for anyone who has been using computers for a while and has even a modicum of tech ability.

    Think of it: An OS that is bootable on a live CD, that installs to the HD. That same Knoppix CD morphing into a rescue/system maintenance disk. If Bill Gates ever produced a product like that he'd have a fresh round of billions coming in.

    Mr. Gates would have us believe switching to Linux is a nightmare. Sure there is a learning curve, and a few bumps in the road to be experienced. But the real nightmare is the constant battle with M$ security problems. Endless rounds of updates, patches, and still no end of online vulnerablities in sight. Windoze XP at this point has to be the least secure OS M$ ever made, due in part to the predominance of M$ monoculture!!!! THAT is the nightmare. So, I've unplugged from M$.

    And I free of that cyber vermon infested M$ monoculture. Free at last. Free at last. God Almighty! I'm free at last.

    OK, off my soapbox.

    Saki

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: I say The Dream IS Here

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    At this point about the only thing I can't do in Knoppix that I can do in XP is when I need the very advanced photo editing features of Photoshop 7.
    Should work, I have Photoshop 6 running fine, have a look here:
    http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ps7

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Running Photoshop!! But Not How I Expected

    Ok, I finally got around to tinkering with Photoshop and Wine running in Knoppix. I did some configuring in Wine, mostly getting my paths to look like what Windows programs see. I deleted the semicolon out of the config file at the Win98 entry, etc. etc.

    And, ta da!, I got it to work......but not in a way I expected.

    I can do this:

    Open up the super user file manager, type in password, go to the Photoshop directory.

    I click on it and then select the wine icon.

    I get a message that Wine can find no configuration file, but there is an option to "Proceed."

    So, I click on "Proceed" and lo and behold, Photoshop 7 opens!!!!

    This is the only way I have found to get it to run. Supposedly programs can't be run from root in Wine? Is that correct?

    Anyway, this is good enough. I'm not messing with it.

    I do have to wonder why this is working.

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I installed photoshop with wine as user and made a desktop icon for it with this in the Command section:
    wine .wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Adobe/Photoshop\ 6.0/Photoshp.exe
    So it should work as a user.

Similar Threads

  1. Linux is a dream that is not realy there
    By mudwater in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  2. Help me, its my dream,novice from India
    By anoop in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
  3. Troubles configuring DRM (Dream)
    By tommystyle in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 04:36 AM
  4. A-bit AI7 + p4/800/2.6 + dual boot = works a dream
    By GuyFawkes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 01:03 AM
  5. Newbie dream:)
    By Jux in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2 picture

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2

$7.84



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.59