Quote Originally Posted by Bustamite
.... usb port ...
I know this isn't the answer you are hoping for, but for numerous reasons I suggest that you get rid of the USB modem and get a real ethernet based modem. This will also allow you to use an inexpensive DSL/Cable router, which not only lets you run multiple computers on your Internet connection at once and forms the basis of a home network as well as taking care of all loggin in and PPPoE issues for you, but also provides a hardware firewall (a very important consideration for Windows users on a high speed connection). You might even find a friend who has an old ethernet DSL modem sitting around unused because they switched to higher speed cable (or maybe you could do that yourself and get an ethernet based modem that way). I know at least two friends who have ethernet DSL modems gathering dust.