Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't get above 640x480

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Can't get above 640x480

    Hello. I've done some searching on my problem but I still can't resolve it. First let me tell you my hardware

    Computer = Dell 3000 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/
    Video Card = Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

    When it boots up i get something about unidentified modes. I have tried

    knoppix screen=1024x768
    knoppix screen=800x600
    knoppix vga=scan
    knoppix vga=0x317
    knoppix vga=normal
    failsafe

    And after that I still only get 640x480 resolution when X-Windows starts.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    In the past, Knoppix had some problems with Dell computers with onboard video. Do you have onboard video? I am pretty sure that the Intel graphics indicates that it is onboard video. If so you may need to adjust how much of the system ram is used for the onbaord video controller. This is does through the BIOS. I found info on it here at the userl manual on page 81 "Video Memory Size": http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...M/J6758A02.pdf. Again in the past, a new BIOS update may also contain a fix for the onboard video.
    I do not have any other ideas as to why it may not work.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Brudus

    Did you solve this problem? I got the same over here.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Can't get above 640x480

    Quote Originally Posted by Brudus
    Hello. I've done some searching on my problem but I still can't resolve it. First let me tell you my hardware

    Computer = Dell 3000 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/
    Video Card = Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

    When it boots up i get something about unidentified modes. I have tried

    knoppix screen=1024x768
    knoppix screen=800x600
    knoppix vga=scan
    knoppix vga=0x317
    knoppix vga=normal
    failsafe

    And after that I still only get 640x480 resolution when X-Windows starts.
    Try at the boot prompt:
    Knoppix xmodule=i810 screen=1024x768
    or
    Knoppix xmodule=i810 screen=1280x1024

    Works for my DELL, hope it helps.

    Thanx to normanicus

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Try Using the Decimal Version

    knoppix vga=0x317

    In your example above, you used the hexidecimal code. You have not yet tried the decimal version.

    Knoppix vga=791 for example.

    This is what I used to get my Kyro II card going in my Knoppix HDD install.

    See chart below.

    vga=
    773 = 1024x768x8
    775 = 1280x1024x8
    791 = 1024x768x16
    794 = 1280x1024x16

    Hope this helps.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only
    By shadowics in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 10:57 PM
  2. i do not have resolution better than 640x480
    By Yakovcs in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
  3. Video not working in 640x480
    By metalx1000 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
  4. PC only booting in 640x480
    By ravenmore in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
  5. Any way to customize 1280x960i resolution and 640x480 tty?
    By IsaacKuo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99