Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Errors accessing a flash module (emulates an IDE hard drive)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5

    Errors accessing a flash module (emulates an IDE hard drive)

    I have a bootable Knoppix CD-ROM and I am able to boot from it.
    My system has a "PQI IDE Secured DiskOnModule" installed in the primary IDE slot (hda).
    This device is a flash module that emulates a 256Mb IDE hard drive.
    The module contains turn-key NAS software.
    When I boot Knoppix, I see many errors when trying to access the module:

    hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    [...]
    ide0: reset: success

    When I try and mount the filesystem, I get more errors:

    % mount -t ext3 -r /dev/hda3 /mnt
    hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 2
    EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

    I know for sure the module has 3 ext3 filesystems on it: hda1, hda2, hda3. I *am* able to mount hda1 and hda2. Any advice as to how to resolve the problems with hda3 would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Nico

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Errors accessing Flash modules

    When accessing Flash or Thumb drives in Knoppix, normally all it takes is to type:

    mount /dev/sda? (replace ? with the appropriate number, usually 1) and do not attempt to give it a mount point.

    Knoppix usually assigns a mount point based on the device name (i.e. mount /dev/sda1 would get /mnt/sda1)

    Try this and good luck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    The errors look like being due to dma. Try the nodma cheatcode.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try and it didn't work.

    I think the point is, that while this module is a flash memory device, it physically plugs into the IDE connector and looks to the BIOS like a regular IDE hard drive.

    When Knoppix boots, it correctly identifies the device as an IDE hard drive (hda) with 3 partitions: hda1, hda2, hda3

    I am able to mount the first two and inspect the contents:
    # mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    # ls -la /mnt/hda1
    [...]
    # mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    # ls -la /mnt/hda2
    [...]

    No problems with those. It's just when I try to access /dev/hda3 that I'm seeing the I/O errors.

    I have also requested information from the module maker but since their module is a proprietary product they are not keen to give me support on accessing the contents this way. Perhaps they have done something "special" to the filesystem on /hda3? Funny thing is, when I boot from the module (normal operation), I am able to confirm that /dev/hda3 on the module is mounted as an ext3 filesystem! Can't figure out why I can't mount it from Knoppix!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, what does sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda say?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5
    I tried "nodma" but the hda read_intr errors still occur.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5
    # fdisk -l /dev/hda
    Disk /dev/hda: 262 MB, 262144000 bytes
    16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1000 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 61 15600 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 * 62 908 216832 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 909 984 19456 83 Linux


    I found some more documentation about the IDE module. Apparently being a "secured" type, this means a section of it is indeed encrypted. This is very likely to be the hda3 partition, since I have no trouble mounting hda1 and hda2. This explains why I cannot mount it. I need to find out how to "open" or "unlock" the module before that partition is mountable.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, the encryption certainly explains not being able to browse it. Looks like it has 3 zones and hda3 is the protected zone so you need to unlock it with a password: http://www.hdnet.co.jp/rise/DownLoad...Manual_1_3.pdf

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Markus, I already found the same datasheet!

    Yes, it is the same PQI module we are talking about.
    The make of the NAS product has used the PQI SDOM as a way to protect as well as deliver their NAS software.
    They have organized the module into 3 zones just as the datasheet suggests:
    /dev/hda1 is the USER zone, (fully open & read/write, mountable)
    /dev/hda2 is the ROM zone (read-only zone, can only be mounted ro, contains the linux boot & root partition)
    /dev/hda3 is the PROTECTED zone (can't read or write, thus unmountable).

    Now the real fun starts! Reverse engineering how to unlock it.

    The thing is, when the machine boots from the module, it must call the PQI SDOM library function sdom_p_password() to unlock the PROTECTED zone somewhere in the boot sequence. The reason I am sure of this is that when I inspect /etc/fstab, there is a normal entry in there to mount /dev/hda3. This obviously succeeds, so this means that by the time the kernel has reached the point where the filesystems are mounted, the P zone has been unlocked. The keys and password must be somewhere in the ROM zone filesystem, because the system boots turnkey - there is no place where I am prompted to enter any password. Besides, the P zone is protecting the NAS software, not my personal data per se.

    I spent a few hours running nm and strings on libraries and kernel modules etc. trying to find evidence where the call to the PQI library might be... in vain. Anyway I am more familiar with Solaris systems and my linux knowledge is light. I wonder where you would locate the code to call the unlock function? Would they have built a special linux kernel and placed it in there? Would they have placed it into a loadable kernel module? I wonder....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Sorry, but I haven't a clue of where they might have inserted the passkey or call to the pqi file. I'd start looking at /etc/rc* directories for filenames like bootmisc.sh that knoppix uses for misc stuff at bootup, and /etc/modules* for a special kernel module.
    As you possibly know, linux first boots the kernel read only to a initial ramdisk where it loads necessary drivers so that normal bootup can follow, although as the protected zone isn't root, it's hard to say if unlocking is done at the initial or normal bootup.

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing hard drive (NTFS - Windows XP) from USB Knoppix??
    By tecnoL in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. Installing Knoppix 3.8 to Your Hard Drive (Flash)
    By Irongeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 07:56 AM
  4. Accessing my Hard Drive with Freeduc-CD
    By matthew629 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:50 AM
  5. cloop and cp errors on hard drive install
    By daryl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 08:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45