Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Permission problem on my directory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Permission problem on my directory

    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Permission problem on my directory

    --Don't use the GUI for stuff like this. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to a root console, then I would recommend using ' mc '. Keep in touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDelph
    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Permission problem
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
  2. Permission problem running a compiled C++ program
    By palmerac in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
  3. permission problem, cannot login
    By jack-ren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. Permission problem after installing OpenOffice binary
    By ezuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$155.19



64GB RAM (2x 32GB) DDR5 5600MHz - Silicon Power SP032GBLVU560F02 picture

64GB RAM (2x 32GB) DDR5 5600MHz - Silicon Power SP032GBLVU560F02

$649.00



Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM picture

Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM

$41.00