Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Permission problem on my directory

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Permission problem on my directory

    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Permission problem on my directory

    --Don't use the GUI for stuff like this. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to a root console, then I would recommend using ' mc '. Keep in touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDelph
    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Permission problem
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
  2. Permission problem running a compiled C++ program
    By palmerac in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
  3. permission problem, cannot login
    By jack-ren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. Permission problem after installing OpenOffice binary
    By ezuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-X230 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Graphite picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-X230 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Graphite

$140.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 11in Wi-Fi Tablet 4GB RAM 128GB Gray/Silver 7040mAh picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 11in Wi-Fi Tablet 4GB RAM 128GB Gray/Silver 7040mAh

$249.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00