Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Permission problem on my directory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Permission problem on my directory

    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Permission problem on my directory

    --Don't use the GUI for stuff like this. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to a root console, then I would recommend using ' mc '. Keep in touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDelph
    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Permission problem
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
  2. Permission problem running a compiled C++ program
    By palmerac in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
  3. permission problem, cannot login
    By jack-ren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. Permission problem after installing OpenOffice binary
    By ezuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server picture

IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server

$999.95



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3755 M3 2U Rackmount Server – No Drives or Trays picture

IBM System x3755 M3 2U Rackmount Server – No Drives or Trays

$150.00



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96