Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: persistent filechanges using knoppix 3.8 and unionFS

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14

    persistent filechanges using knoppix 3.8 and unionFS

    anyone know how to do this? The script download is no longer at this website:

    http://www.centernetworx.de/knx_persistent_home_0.4.zip

    thanks. I am running the CeBIT 3.8 version and don't wanna reboot if all my changes will be lost.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    ok, so everyone ignored my question it seems. Yes I am a Linux newbie so maybe this question is answered in the FAQ or something but I can't find it. My question is based off of this article: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654

    I want to be able to do this. as I understand it, you need to make a linux partition on your harddisk and have some sort of special something.knoppix config file that tells Knoppix that you want it to merge your hard disk's files with the Knoppix Read-Only CD mount to restore the changes you made. I looked at the post of the linuxrc file that has been posted in these forums at:
    http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/k...nuxrc-3.8.html
    But I don't think that is the entire picture. I have tried to find a "persistent home directory script" but have been unsuccessful. Can someone help me find the one that is mentioned in the article? or is this not in the CeBIT version of Knoppix? Thanks to those who help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    well, I got some help from this guy's post:

    I'm not sure what this post is about, but I'm going to assume that a USB Key is a memory card that fits into a USB port. I already have a USB memory card on my pc with my knoppix configuration settings on it . I copied the contents of the 3.7 live cd into a folder on my Windows (Fat32) 2000 hard drive using the Knoppix TOHD /dev/hda1 cheatcode. I then set up a 4.3GB secondary IDE drive and use 2 partitions on that for my persistent home directory (/dev/hdc1) and my swap file(dev/hdc2) . The USB drive shows up on my desktop as /dev/sda1.

    I put the Knoppix cd into the cd drive, at the boot prompt type "knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hdc1 myconf=/dev/sda1" and as soon as the kernel boots, I take the CD out of the cd rom drive and I'm up and running. If I want to boot into Win 2000, I just take the knoppix cd out and boot from hd.

    To give the USB drive read/write privlidges, all I did was right click on the device icon, click on the permissions tab, and uncheck the RO box. Since I boot from the cd, I have no sign on security the way I would if I used the install to HD options, but I've never really been stuck . I downloaded Firefox 1.0 onto my /dev/hdc1 , installed it to my desktop, and use it all the time. I can't wait to get knoppix 3.8 so that it will be part of the core system.
    If I change my desktop settings, or my Firefox bookmarks, I select Knoppix/Configure/Save Knoppix Settings, save everthing I can, and at the locations prompt, I check the box for Sda1 and I'm done.

    I can even take the cd and the usb card to a friend's windows PC, throw in the Knoppix cd, boot as Knoppix myconf=/dev/sda1, and get the same desktop I have at home (assuming of course the target PC sees my usb card as sda1).
    I guess I need to know what to put in myconf= path (not the path, but what files to put at that path's location)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    nope, I had not seen that. That is exactly what I was looking for I think. thanks, can't wait to try it tomorrow (if I can make space on my work PC that has NTFS WinXP on it)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    So, my entire drive is partitioned as NTFS. Can I still use the cheatcode Knoppix TOHD \dev\hda1 ? or does that only work for FAT partitions? I suppose I could just try it. Also, the guy in the above link said he runs using:
    knoppix lang=us keyboard=us home=/mnt/hda2/knoppix.img
    now, is knoppix.img a file on his FAT32 partition, or is it the only file in a linux partition? I suppose I will mess around with all of these options because I don't think there is any way for me to resize my NTFS partition to make space for a Linux parition without buying Partition magic or something.

Similar Threads

  1. Root file system links to UNIONFS (e.g. bin -> /UNIONFS/b
    By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
  2. Another bug in UnionFS (in knoppix 4.0.2)
    By Josh Yelon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. Is Unionfs working in Knoppix 4.0?
    By tablet_guy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
  4. How to replace UNIONFS in Knoppix 3.9?
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:52 AM
  5. Is /UNIONFS/etc in KNOPPIX 3.9 broken
    By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU

$169.99



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99