Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems booting from CD-ROM

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Problems booting from CD-ROM

    Hi,

    I am looking for a boot loader, which will run from floppy disk and allow me
    to boot into Knoppix from a CD, even though the BIOS wont support CD-ROM
    booting (Old Dell OptiPlex GXi).

    I have tried Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.webframe.org/), but I get the
    error "0xAA".

    Can anyone suggest suitable alternatives?



    TIA,

    Mike

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problems booting from CD-ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by login365
    ... looking for a boot loader, which will run from floppy disk ....
    I have tried Smart BootManager ... but I get the error "0xAA".
    Can anyone suggest suitable alternatives?
    I can suggest XOSL, but it has to be installed to the hard disk. I suggest installing it to it's own partition rather than the "recommended"way of installing it to the Windows partition. It's far more powerful than SBM and has a much nicer user interface.

    However, I have doubts about that error you get with SBM. Whan do you do when you get it? What did you do to make you SBM floppy? Are you sure that your Knoppix CD was made properly and did you check the md5 sum of the iso that you burnt? You may be rejecting SBM for issues that are not it's fault.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    I get the error from SBM when I select boot from CD-ROM. The Knoppix CD was made properly from the ISO, as it has been tested on a friends PC.

    When GRUB is loaded, how can I point it to the CD and the directories of the files on the CD in order to load the kernel and then boot?

    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. Help - problems with booting
    By rocked18 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 06:44 PM
  3. booting problems
    By rockinrodent in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
  4. Booting Problems
    By halo_mortal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 03:56 AM
  5. problems booting
    By njmetalmeister in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99