I want to run knoppix straight from my hd without having to dual boot, I prefer knoppix over windows and would rather not have it on my pc.Is it possible and if so can some one tell me how to do it.<---complete n00b.
Thanks.
I want to run knoppix straight from my hd without having to dual boot, I prefer knoppix over windows and would rather not have it on my pc.Is it possible and if so can some one tell me how to do it.<---complete n00b.
Thanks.
For a Knoppix only system, simply wipe your HD, reformat your HD.
I would use three partitions:
One for Knoppix O/S format ext3 about 5 gig
One for swap about 500 meg format linux swap
rest for data format ext3
so that data is on a separate partition from the O/S to protect it in case of an O/S crash.
but you can just use 2...500 meg for swap & rest for Knoppix.
Then just do a Knoppix HD install with the command 'sudo knoppix-installer'.
If you use 3 partitions, once Knoppix is installed you can set up to either move your /home directory to your data partition or else leave /home where it is but put in a symlink to your data partition so that you can easy access it.
You do not need windows on your drive if you don't want it.
I ran that way ( sans win ) for a long time.
You could use qtparted to delete the windows partiton.
I assume you will save any files you want, and then you can
either use the extra space for /home or just add to your root partition.
You could give this link a read: http://pw1.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html
Once you have the drive formatted the way
you want you can install knoppix. Good luck!
Here's what I did:Originally Posted by Dobez
-use qtparted to create an ext3 partition for knoppix, and a linux-swap partition for swapping
-run knx2hd to install knoppix
-when asked if I want to install LILO on the MBR or the partition, choose PARTITION
-reboot
-edit my boot sequence in my BIOS to check the CD-ROM drive before checking any hard drives
-boot from the knoppix CD
-at the boot console, type "knoppix root=/dev/sda1 noinitrd ro", so that a) Knoppix will see /dev/sda1 as the hard disk installation to boot up, and b) so that knoppix won't initialise a ram disk and try to run from that
That's how i've been using knoppix for the past month or so: It's running from a hard disk partition, but I don't have to dual boot or mess around with the Master Boot Record or use LILO or anything, all I have to do is make sure the Knoppix CD is in the CDROM rive at boot up![]()

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$305.98