Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Black Screen on Boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4

    Black Screen on Boot

    Whenever I try to boot Knoppix off of the cd, I press enter at the first screen, and then it goes blank. I have tried resizing the screen size, and failsafe mode. When booting in failsafe, I get something like this:

    *Loads of random addresses*
    Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address d8000000
    printing eip
    c0108bf8
    *pde=00000000

    I am running a 1Ghz Athlon with a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX and generic plug and play monitor.
    And yet it works on my cheaper 900Mhz machine with integrated video.

    Have any ideas?
    Thanks!

    -------------------
    Off-Topic Question

    Does anybody know where you can get cheap (and new) wholesale laptops? I have a wholesale license, and I would like something more portable than my desktops. Maybe something that can handle other applications...like wardriving.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I don't know why knoppix won't boot with your hardware, but you could try
    xmodule=fbdev at boot (type that at the boot prompt) or look at the other cheat codes
    http://www.knoppix.nl/3.6/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt to see if one of those gets you running. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    Nope, none of the cheat codes seem to work for me. I've tried disconnecting my hard drive and extra ram (as they have caused problems for me in the past).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    I had this issue too, with my laptop and my desktop.
    For my laptop, it would go blank right after boot: prompt. I found that using the 'knoppix26 acpi=off' combination worked for my laptop.

    I use fb1024x768 for my desktop, and it works like a charm.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    I think my computer is just funky; that doesn't seem to work either This is not a flickering screen, like some of the cheatcodes would fix, I think this may be a monitor or videocard compatability problem.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Hve you tried using "expert" at boot?
    This will have you step/go through the hardware set up
    manually, and then perhaps you can indentify, for certain,
    the place where booting fails.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    I shall try that and update you on my status.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1
    I had the same problems with just about any flavor of Linux. Expert mode = Blank screen. So I went with "Failsafe" these are the last lines before it locksup on me

    ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
    ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
    Using local APCI timer interrupts
    calibrating ACPI timer ...
    .....CPU clock speed is 3056.5252 Mhz.
    .....host bus clock speed is 0.0000 Mhz
    cpu: 0, clocks: 0,slice: 0

    Anyways the boot just halts

    Thanks for any ideas and help

    Dell inspiron 5150 laptop

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Racen Viper, You might want to google your video system + linux.
    I do recall seeing posts here about dell inspiron onboard video incompatibility.
    I don't know if kanotix would work on your system but it might be worth a shot.
    Good luck

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1
    I also have the same problem on 2 identical laptops.

    1.8 GHz Athlon XP-M
    64MB ATI Radeon IGP
    768MB RAM

    After hitting enter on the boot: screen my LCD goes black. I know the CD works as I can use it on my school's computers which run P4 desktops.

    Any help is appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. black screen boot problem
    By johnpfree in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 08:36 AM
  2. BLack Screen after boot
    By Aspra in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
  3. Black screen on boot
    By alexx-rc1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 10:07 AM
  4. Black screen during the boot
    By Sigmatador in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07