Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I deleted my swap partition by accident;how to create new?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14

    I deleted my swap partition by accident;how to create new?

    I accidentally deleted my swap partition with qtparted. How do I create a new swap partition for knoppix 3.6 to replace the one I deleted?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568

    Re: I deleted my swap partition by accident;how to create ne

    Quote Originally Posted by jariep
    I accidentally deleted my swap partition with qtparted. How do I create a new swap partition for knoppix 3.6 to replace the one I deleted?
    The obvious solution would be to boot from the live CD (not from your hard drive), run QTParted as root, and recreate the swap partition, no?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16

    Re: I deleted my swap partition by accident;how to create ne

    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Quote Originally Posted by jariep
    I accidentally deleted my swap partition with qtparted. How do I create a new swap partition for knoppix 3.6 to replace the one I deleted?
    The obvious solution would be to boot from the live CD (not from your hard drive), run QTParted as root, and recreate the swap partition, no?
    This is exactly the sort of situation that knoppix live-CD shines at: emergency system recovery, even for itself.

    Creating the swap partition is only the first step however. It also has to be initialised. QTParted apparently will do this. Select the appropriate partition, then go under Operations->&Format. Select a partition type of "linux-swap". Or, you can do it from a root shell using mkswap (see the man page). The next time you boot linux should find the swap and use it automagically just like always.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to create swap file during boot from CD
    By Ham13 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
  2. Unable to create swap file.
    By Ham13 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 01:09 AM
  3. Deleted Win Partition w/ Knoppix, Having Problems Booting Up
    By RewindYourVideos in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 02:42 AM
  4. create a permanent swap
    By thomas_remkus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
  5. swap partition
    By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



3 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2007, Windows Vista Business Vintage picture

3 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2007, Windows Vista Business Vintage

$60.00



Oneida Silversmiths NOEL Christmas Spoons Lot 9 Vintage 1975-1983 Annual Series picture

Oneida Silversmiths NOEL Christmas Spoons Lot 9 Vintage 1975-1983 Annual Series

$29.61



Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture

Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac

$11.75



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59