Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: RAID and journaling fs - a bad idea?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    RAID and journaling fs - a bad idea?

    I just wanted to set up a RAID1, to have something I can count on. But then I started to think about it: What happens, if you have a power failure (hard switch off) in a system with e.g. reiserfs and RAID1? On the one HD, the writing transaction may got finished until poweroff, and on the 2nd HD the write transaction was still ongoing. So at the next poweron, the write gets rolled back on the 2nd HD, but not on the 1st HD. Now you have a mirrored system with not identical data.

    Do you have any idea, how (or if) this is solved?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: RAID and journaling fs - a bad idea?

    --I'm sure the designers thought of this, as Reiserfs is used in major production systems.

    --However, you can always go here ( http://www.namesys.com/ ) and check the FAQ, or send them an email.

    --My take on it, is that you're better off WITH journalling, than without. But I also recommend buying a UPS.

    --BTW, can anyone recommend a good UPS with Linux support?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasX
    I just wanted to set up a RAID1, to have something I can count on. But then I started to think about it: What happens, if you have a power failure (hard switch off) in a system with e.g. reiserfs and RAID1? On the one HD, the writing transaction may got finished until poweroff, and on the 2nd HD the write transaction was still ongoing. So at the next poweron, the write gets rolled back on the 2nd HD, but not on the 1st HD. Now you have a mirrored system with not identical data.

    Do you have any idea, how (or if) this is solved?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Dave Bechtel,

    Not quite sure on this, but, as for your querry on UPS's...

    I dont think you can go wrong with APC -=- I have been using them for many years, without problems.

    I dont have the seriel interface running, I just use the power and phone plugs, but, the units are "rock solid", and have held me through every-other-minute of brown-outs, used to live in Tucson, Arizona, when the thunder and lightening storms get bad during monsoon season.

    Considering how big APC has gotten, I can not imagine that they havent, at least, ported, there software over to Linux, if not, created completely new support software for it... Possibly check the web site, and hit up there tech support ?

    As for just the hardware, I am a devoted buyer of APC, and feel quite safe having used for more than twenty years, and more than 3 systems - not to mention there warrentee that backs there products.

    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8
    apc does support linux, at least on the serial port, there even is the software to monitor it, not sure if it has a client, but the demon works like a charm, monitoring it from a windows workstation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Thanks for the UPS advice!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    back to my orig. question: I got an answer:

    I assumed that RAID is on top of the fs, but I got told that actually the fs is on top of the RAID module. Therefore there is only *one* fs "instance" involved, which either gets rolled back or not.

    However, a new question arises now: If a journaling fs gives savety on power failure, but a raid software is in between, does it probably break your power off savety for the sake of HD HW failure savety?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    > --However, you can always go here ( http://www.namesys.com/ ) and check the FAQ

    Jo, that was a good pointer.

    However, I found that entry:
    "Does using ReiserFS mean I can just press the power off button without running "shutdown" or "init 0," etc? Does it mean there is no risk of data loss?"
    (http://www.namesys.com/faq.html#poweroff)
    The answer was "no" and they were using the term "data journaling", what will be introduced in the future.

    For xfs it doesn't appear to be any better(?)
    (I found http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html)

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasX
    The answer was "no"
    The journaling file systems only guarantee consistency of the file system, not that no data will be lost after a catastrophic failure.

    Thomas

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --I think you're a little too paranoid.

    --Buy a UPS, and do frequent backups, and you should be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasX
    back to my orig. question: I got an answer:

    I assumed that RAID is on top of the fs, but I got told that actually the fs is on top of the RAID module. Therefore there is only *one* fs "instance" involved, which either gets rolled back or not.

    However, a new question arises now: If a journaling fs gives savety on power failure, but a raid software is in between, does it probably break your power off savety for the sake of HD HW failure savety?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    --I think you're a little too paranoid.

    Yes, probably. On the other hand - I really like to hard-switch-off my server, as it is a AT board (no ATX, no soft power button) and has no keyboard attached to it. But o.k., I should change my habits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RAID not mounted - Want to secure data from RAID system
    By NatXotic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 07:18 AM
  3. SATA-Raid Problem with 4.02 (Raid 1 not rocognized)
    By Eru_Ascar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 02:01 AM
  4. Idea
    By McMahon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 02:36 AM
  5. journaling fs a good idea?
    By stefan_isaacs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99