-
Wi - Fi Knoppix?
Is there a easier way to connect to the Internet using the 802.11a/b bandwidth? I usally have to create an IP Address that no one is using in order to connect to the Internet. This process is very time consuming. If there is a better way to config IP Addresses that are not being used, please tell me. Also, can you sub-net Mask your IP address at all w/ knoppix?
Thanks,
Frustrated Student
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Wi - Fi Knoppix?

Originally Posted by
Theridos
Is there a easier way to connect to the Internet using the 802.11a/b bandwidth? I usally have to create an IP Address that no one is using in order to connect to the Internet. This process is very time consuming. If there is a better way to config IP Addresses that are not being used, please tell me. Also, can you sub-net Mask your IP address at all w/ knoppix?
Knoppix support for many of the wireless cards is not good, but it sounds like you migh be past this and actually have your card working. Generally a Knoppix system (including wireless) gets it's IP and related setting by DHCP. You shouldn't have to do any of the things you say you do. Are there things that you are not telling us? Is this your own router (and is so what make and model)? Do you have DHCP disabled for some strange reason? If you are trying to hack and steal service you'll find that most of the people here are not going to be be very supportive of that.
And why didn't you post this in Networking?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Wi - Fi Knoppix?
--I'm interested in this as well... Just getting my feet wet with 802.11b, got the drivers compiled and the card is working, but I don't get a signal in my neighborhood. (Not trying to leech, just trying to get it working as proof of concept before going to a wireless cafe.)
--I can post the scripts I'm using and other details, if anyone can help.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
Theridos
Is there a easier way to connect to the Internet using the 802.11a/b bandwidth? I usally have to create an IP Address that no one is using in order to connect to the Internet. This process is very time consuming. If there is a better way to config IP Addresses that are not being used, please tell me. Also, can you sub-net Mask your IP address at all w/ knoppix?
Knoppix support for many of the wireless cards is not good, but it sounds like you migh be past this and actually have your card working. Generally a Knoppix system (including wireless) gets it's IP and related setting by DHCP. You shouldn't have to do any of the things you say you do. Are there things that you are not telling us? Is this your own router (and is so what make and model)? Do you have DHCP disabled for some strange reason? If you are trying to hack and steal service you'll find that most of the people here are not going to be be very supportive of that.
And why didn't you post this in Networking?
-
Re: Wi - Fi Knoppix?

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--I'm interested in this as well... Just getting my feet wet with 802.11b, got the drivers compiled and the card is working, but I don't get a signal in my neighborhood. (Not trying to leech, just trying to get it working as proof of concept before going to a wireless cafe.)
Are you sure there is an active AP in your neighborhood that you should be able to see? (You won't see for example an AP not broadcasting its SSID; also there are factors that limit the range of a signal.)
Thomas
-
check www.remote-security.org -> auditor is a knoppix derivate optimized for wi-fi
-
Senior Member
registered user
if a ap is not boardcasting its essid doesnt mean your not see it, you just wont be able to see its essid thats all.
-
Senior Member
registered user
--I get a DNS failure on that name; is that the right site?

Originally Posted by
koaschten
-
-
WiFi Knoppix - Auditor and Centrino
I've been playing around too much and am getting a bit flustered on how to get the newly relesaed drivers for the centrino Intel Pro 2200 802.11g working with Auditor/Knoppix.... Any help or ideas is welcomed!
My setup I'd like to prove will work with Auditor - HP Laptop dv1175us (centrino) with built-in Intel Pro 2200
I found a sourcefore group developing linux drivers for centrinos
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
Any ideas?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Usually the process of assigning IP addresses is dynamic, the wireless router or AP would have the feature of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) enabled by default and any wireless client would have a legitimate IP address assigned from the wireless router.
I've had the same problem in Knoppix, in that an address is not assigned to me from the wireless router while I have a legitimate SSID and even with the wireless router set to default (no encryption, no MAC filtering etc).
If I set a legitimate IP address manually then I can associate with the wireless router. When I set that IP address I did not set the netmask, it was done automatically as a class C address.
I think you can set the netmask manually, look at man ifconfig for how you do it.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99