-
Junior Member
registered user
hdparm, HD spindown, how to get status?
Hello,
I want to do HD spindown with hdparm, but want to make sure, that the HD is not going off and on 100 times a day. Therefore I want to log, what is going on. However, I haven't found a possibility to *ask*, if the current status of the HD is spun down or not (of course without spinning it on again).
Any help would be great.
Thomas
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: hdparm, HD spindown, how to get status?
--Unless you're on a laptop, I wouldn't recommend this. I tried it with a regular IDE drive a few months ago, and got kernel panics(!!) Plus, when trying to spin the drive up again and mount a filesystem, it would just hang. Reboot fixed it, but not an encouraging experience.
--Just let it spin, and keep a spare drive handy in case you need it.

Originally Posted by
ThomasX
Hello,
I want to do HD spindown with hdparm, but want to make sure, that the HD is not going off and on 100 times a day. Therefore I want to log, what is going on. However, I haven't found a possibility to *ask*, if the current status of the HD is spun down or not (of course without spinning it on again).
Any help would be great.
Thomas
-
Junior Member
registered user
RAID and journaling fs - a bad idea?
Hi Dave,
I actually made good experience with spindown so far. It really all looks a bit random, if you will make good or bad experience. For example, I made very bad experience with USB-HD. Whenever the HD became full, my linux crashed somehow. The HD (or usb electronic) was not responding any more, so the driver hand, so the OS hang
later someone told me, that many usb-ide electronic may not be "well tested".
And when the HW fails, the data gets corrupted, no reiserfs or what ever can help then.
But now I have the next big problem, but write about it in a new thread, so others may find it and hop on.
Thomas
Similar Threads
-
By csodabogar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
-
By vijirin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
-
By Z-Man in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2006, 07:24 AM
-
By jojo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
-
By pp5126 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched
$149.99
![[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture](/store/img/g/IKQAAeSwEK9qv9TG/s-l225/-BULK-LOT-OF-10-UNITS-of-8GB-DDR4-Laptop-RAM-SAMSU.jpg)
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$155.19

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99

Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM
$41.00