Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem with permissons (external HD)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    Problem with permissons (external HD)

    Hello,

    I have an external Firewire HD and 'm using Knoppix Live. With this boot CD I want to backup some files from a PC, so I want to copy those to the external HD. But when I'm copying a file or when I want to delete or make a new folder; I get the following error (depending on what I do ofcourse)

    "Could not delete
    file /mnt/sda1/file name"

    Next thing I did was checking the permission-settings of this external HD (via properties). I noticed the HD was labeled as 'read only'. I unchecked that. I also set the access permissions of owner, group and others to 'Can read and write'. But still the same problem! I can view files, but I can't remove them or place new files to the HD. Can somebody help me?

    Vincent

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2
    I restarted the system, and now it works perfect! Weird.

    Vincent

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem with permissons (external HD)

    Quote Originally Posted by netfox
    ... external Firewire HD ..... I noticed the HD was labeled as 'read only'. I unchecked that. I also set the access permissions of owner, group and others to 'Can read and write'. ....
    What type of partition system is used on that external drive? If it's NTFS then you should never write to it with Knoppix. What you say you did may have already severely corrupted it. If this is the case I would go back to the Windows system immidately and recover all I could from it, reformat it and start fresh. If it's a FAT type partition then Knoppix should be able to write to it fine. Go to the desktop icon, right click, select the actions ... sub-menu and make the drive writeable (Knoppix opens hard drive partitions as read only by default).

Similar Threads

  1. Problem transferring files to external Hard Drive
    By Joma in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
  2. Knoppix 5.0.1CD external CD-Burner Problem
    By Ralph.Bremer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
  3. problem whit external hard disk
    By alex407 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
  4. Problem after attempted install to external USB-Harddisk
    By ned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
  5. Problem copying file to an external HDD...(Urgent)
    By jch02140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99