-
Problem with permissons (external HD)
Hello,
I have an external Firewire HD and 'm using Knoppix Live. With this boot CD I want to backup some files from a PC, so I want to copy those to the external HD. But when I'm copying a file or when I want to delete or make a new folder; I get the following error (depending on what I do ofcourse)
"Could not delete
file /mnt/sda1/file name"
Next thing I did was checking the permission-settings of this external HD (via properties). I noticed the HD was labeled as 'read only'. I unchecked that. I also set the access permissions of owner, group and others to 'Can read and write'. But still the same problem! I can view files, but I can't remove them or place new files to the HD. Can somebody help me?
Vincent
-
I restarted the system, and now it works perfect! Weird.
Vincent
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Problem with permissons (external HD)

Originally Posted by
netfox
... external Firewire HD ..... I noticed the HD was labeled as 'read only'. I unchecked that. I also set the access permissions of owner, group and others to 'Can read and write'. ....
What type of partition system is used on that external drive? If it's NTFS then you should never write to it with Knoppix. What you say you did may have already severely corrupted it. If this is the case I would go back to the Windows system immidately and recover all I could from it, reformat it and start fresh. If it's a FAT type partition then Knoppix should be able to write to it fine. Go to the desktop icon, right click, select the actions ... sub-menu and make the drive writeable (Knoppix opens hard drive partitions as read only by default).
Similar Threads
-
By Joma in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
-
By Ralph.Bremer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
-
By alex407 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
-
By ned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
-
By jch02140 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)
$999.99

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter
$59.99

Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP
$49.99

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB
$285.00