Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Internal HD Not Visible as Icon on Knoppix Desktop

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Internal HD Not Visible as Icon on Knoppix Desktop

    Any help would be appreciated. Here is the output from a few of the essentials I have seen on this forum. I need to recover data off this drive. I have a direct connection to another PC as a copy destination. I am fairly new to Linux, so details wouldn't hurt. Thanks!!!

    dmesg|grep ATA
    hda: HITACHI_DK23CA-20, ATA DISK, drive
    hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2102, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    scsi0: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

    dmesg|grep hd
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xeff0-oxeff7, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xeff8-0xefff, BIOS settings: hdcMA, hddio
    hda: HITACHI_DK23CA-20, ATA DISK drive
    hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SDR2102, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hda: attached ide-disk driver.
    hda: host protected area =>1
    hda: 39070080 sectors (20004 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=2432/255/63
    hda: unknown partition table
    hdc: attached ide-scsi driver
    hda: hda1

    dmesg|grep CD
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive:24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    cloop: /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: 30369 blocks, 65536 bytes/block, largest block is 65552 bytes

    fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB 20003880960 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
    Units=cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 2432 19535008+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

    cat /etc/fstab
    /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user, noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user, noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    # Added by Knoppix
    /dev/hda /mnt/hda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

    dmesg|grep mount
    usbdevfs: remount parameter error

    mount
    /dev/root on / types ext2 (rw)
    /dev/scd0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
    /dev/cloop on KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
    /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw, size=186340k)
    /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw,devmode=0666)
    automount(pid321) on /mnt/auto type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=321,minproto=2,maxproto=4)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    This looks like a corrupted ntfs partition; what is it actually?
    You don't actually need the desktop icons, try 'sudo mount /dev/hda1' or 'sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    This crash was the result of "properly-according to Microsoft" uninstalling SP2 for Win XP Home. Knoppix is my last resort for my data recovery. I've tried a bunch of different approaches with no luck so far.
    After I ran the sudo mount command you gave it says the point /mnt/hda1 does not exist. Any ideas?

    -cheers

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16
    You can always try a backup hard disk and MS-Dos but you'lkl be there a long time, is your hard drive connected(ie IDE cable and power cable), can you hear the Hard Disk? You might try this, Get a small USB Hard Disk or something that you can plug into the computer, install either Linux or Windows onto this hard disk to try to get access to the files, I've successfully done this to a couple of servers that I have. This is the first problem with Knoppix that I've heard of, what version do you have?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoppyKate
    This crash was the result of "properly-according to Microsoft" uninstalling SP2 for Win XP Home. Knoppix is my last resort for my data recovery. I've tried a bunch of different approaches with no luck so far.
    After I ran the sudo mount command you gave it says the point /mnt/hda1 does not exist. Any ideas?

    -cheers
    All that means is the intended mount directory is not yet created so do 'sudo mkdir /mnt/hda1' first then retry the sudo mount command.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Further Developments

    I made the directory for the mount location and it seems to work, but when I try to ls that directory, there is nothing in it.

    The Knoppix version I have is 3.6. I can hear my hard disk just fine, but it goes into an infinite boot cycle when I try to boot into Windows. I have tried everything I can think of. I have an external USB HD that I can probably borrow from someone. How exactly do I go about getting the files off of the crashed PC with the external?

    -cheers

    K

Similar Threads

  1. Sudden Desktop Icon Problem
    By Levi32 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 11:39 PM
  2. how to create an icon on desktop
    By ashmita in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
  3. My Knoppix Desktop is missing that key icon
    By dj_clawson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:25 AM
  4. Desktop Icon LinuxTag
    By rabinhood in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 05:14 PM
  5. How to remove the selflinux icon on desktop?
    By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00