Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Getting full screen display

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    Getting full screen display

    I just downloaded Knoppix for my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to go into full screen. Its just centered and I don't know how to change it... Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    What video card does your laptop have? Without further information, we're not able to help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    Nvidia

    Geforce 4 mx 440..... 64mb of ram...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Nvidia

    Quote Originally Posted by bigd652
    Geforce 4 mx 440..... 64mb of ram...
    Docs: Cheatcodes
    I'd try screen=1024x768, or what your actual resolution is.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    I have an inspiron 8200
    the trick is that the default resolution for your screen is 1600x1200
    so do
    knoppix screen=1600x1200
    and it will work
    the only problem is that the resolution is a bit high so you might have to use the eraser mouse instead of the touch pad, which will be really slow at that resolution. (unless you change your mouse speed settings)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1

    A Solution that only takes 5 Minutes!

    Well, this is all dependant on One thing, and ONE thing only. If you are using the CD or if you are running it off your HDD...

    If you are running it off the CD, well there isnt much I can think of that we can do with this... however if you are running it off your HDD like I am, I have a whopper of a solution for you that took me 2 hours to realize, and 5 minutes to do.
    first off, see my signature below for my system specs, I dont think that the vid card makes all that much difference considering nvidia puts all of their video cards in one driver (usually, plus I could be wrong since I am usually a windows user, I figured that this solution as it was a pain in the butt for me, would be helpful for anyone else)

    Secondly, here are the instructions....

    1. Download the NVidia Drivers from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191 you can get the kernel and GLX files from that folder (Make sure you do NOT download the unified.tar.gz because it doesnt have all the files you will need)
    2. Untar the tar.gz files using tar -zxvf NVIDIA(blah).#.#.#.tar.tz
    3. run the following commands in your konsole(or shell of your preference) as root
    export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
    cd (nv kernel dir)
    make install
    cd ..
    cd (nv glx dir)
    make install

    now, your probably thinking, well damn, that was easy... well that was easy, but this is the more fun part....

    4. Boot off the Knoppix CD and use the cheatcode knoppix screen=1600x1200
    5. once in X use ctrl & - ctrl & + to get so where you can see the screen... if you move your mouse to the edge of the viewport the desktop will navigate with it... get back into the shell
    6. copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 onto a floppy disk
    7. reboot into your HD installed Knoppix
    8. Get to your shell
    9. copy your XF86Config-4 file to the /etc/X11 folder overwriting the existing one (back it up first if you wish)
    10. edit your XF86Config-4 file using vi XF86Config-4
    11 make the following changes...
    change driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia"
    change Load "glx" to #Load "glx" preventing the load of this statement
    change Load "glcore" to #Load "glcore" preventing the load of this statement
    12. Make sure you leave the vendorname and boardname strings set to "all" or this will NOT work
    13. save the cahnges
    14. press ctrl & alt & backspace to reload the config file into X and voila you should be at 1600x1200 resolution

    NOW BEAR IN MIND: If you go to configure your resolution it will come up as 640x480 8 bit color, but you are actually running at 1600x1200x24!!!! so I would back up your XF86Config-4 file incase you accidentally lose those settings so you dont have to do it all over again... I called mine XF86Config-4.WORKS! and stored it in my /etc/X11 folder

    I am a newbie, and have been using linux for a grand total of about amonth starting off with mandy 8 and redhat... if I can do this ANYONE can do it.

    I'm pretty sure I didnt leave anything out... if it doesnt work E-Mail me and I would be glad to send you the XF86Config-4 file that I edited to get this running.
    Good Luck , I hope this helps

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14

    For Dell laptops

    Press Fn button and 7 (or was it F7) at the same time to get full screen or centered screen. Be warned though, everything will be blurry if you did not have the right drivers and resolution 1600x1200.

Similar Threads

  1. Not full screen
    By l_zuly in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 04:35 AM
  2. Knoppix Hd İnstall Problem( Full screen L99 )
    By ofenerci in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM
  3. When full screen is not really full screen
    By Incognito in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
  5. vmware full screen
    By freekvw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory

$149.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98