Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5

    Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

    I cannot set up my IBM ThinkPad 600E to print because Knoppix-KDE does
    not see the parallel port.

    I have tested the parallel port in IBM's "Easy Setup" BIOS menu and it says it is
    OK but Knoppix-KDE fails to see it.

    When I go into Control Center - Peripherals - Printer - Local Port Selection
    only the USB ports appear to have URI's assigned.

    Anyone seen this before and have any ideas how I might fix this, please?

    Thanks! edoc

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5

    Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

    Well, I did a little more searching and stumbled upon http://www.mepis.org/node/401
    wherein which I found a reference to shutting off Quick Boot in the IBM Easy Setup
    BIOS menu as one way to get sound to work.

    So I shut it off and hey! I can access my parallel port!

    No idea why this works and what else it may break but it resolves the problem du jour!

    edoc

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5

    Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

    Turning off the Quick Post fixed the parallel port problem but trashed the sound ... arghhhhh!

    Sigh ... edoc

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5

    Parallel Port on IBM TP 600E Not Detected

    In my continuing dialog with myself I must report that though Knoppix/KDE
    appeared to recognize device:/dev/lp0 but nothing makes it to the printer.

    Sure wish someone had some good ideas to get this working.

    edoc

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mine post is simply one of empathy, since I seem to be having the same problem with Knoppix 3.7. I see lots of USB options when I attempt to install my printer, but the LPT port does not seems to be recognized. Glad I'm not alone.

    For what its worth, Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6 are fine on my machine, and both recognize my printer and LPT port just fine.

    Mine is not an IBM machine. I've got an Asus P2B motherboard. I've just flash updated the bios, but that did not solve the problem unfortunately.

    In posting this, at least it will rise back to the top of the list, where I hope that someone will see/respond to our call for help!

Similar Threads

  1. Parallel Port always in use?
    By KeTZer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
  2. Parallel Port always in use?
    By KeTZer in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 03:18 PM
  3. Parallel Port ZIP100 not detected
    By charlwood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 08:22 PM
  4. Knoppix from a Parallel-port CD-ROM?
    By jdong in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:11 AM
  5. Printer and parallel port
    By tas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00