-
Onboard sound works, PCI SB Audigy gets this error:

what can I do to stop this? are there some kind of write permissions set because I'm having trouble with ATi's linux drivers too, I did an alien on the rpm and that went fine, but doing a dpkg --install wasn't so successful, let me try it again and post the error:
Code:
root@risingedge:~# dpkg --install fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 109777 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-4-3-0 (from fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa-gl
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb
root@risingedge:~#
I am using Knoppix 3.7
-
you could try this...
For the sound problem I'd try this:
1) "su" to root
2) "apt-get update"
3) "apt-get install module-assistant"
4) "module-assistant"
5) from the menu choose "UPDATE" then "PREPARE" then "SELECT"
6) check "ALSA"
7) from the new menu select "GET" then "BUILD" then "INSTALL"
that should get the right module in the right place (as long as you're using alsa....if you're not sure, and you use lilo to boot, you can always add (or check to see if it's already there) "alsa" as a boot param to your "/etc/lilo.conf" (but after you add the line to the file and save it, you MUST run "lilo" from the promt to install the new configuration
-Here's an example of one of the entries from my /etc/lilo.conf:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686
label="Linux-2.6.10"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-1-686
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce atapicd alsa splash"
read-only
Now, for your video drivers. I would assume it's not installing correctly because you're trying to overwrite a file from another package (I don't think debian lets you do that) just before you run:
dpkg --install fglrx-4-3-0_8.10.19-2_i386.deb
try running:
apt-get remove xlibmesa-gl
(if that really messes things up and the install still doesn't work at least you can always "apt-get install xlibmesa-gl" to put it back)
Cheers
Eugene
---------
noob
---------
-
Re: you could try this...
Thankyou for the help, I let you know how it works out, for now I've discovered that I can plug my speakers into the onboard to get sound, but I'd preffer my audigy.
Similar Threads
-
By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
-
By spitfire in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
-
By frank34 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
By Bakin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5" 3TB SATA Hard Drive
$40.90

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

Toshiba HDD3B03 2TB Internal 7200RPM 3.5" (MK2002TSKB) HDD
$31.90

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Lot of 2 HITACHI HUS724020ALS641 0B26928 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5" LFF SAS HARD DRIVE
$29.99

Dell 2.4TB 10K SAS 2.5" F9NWJ 12Gbps HDD AL15SEB24EQY Hard Drive w/ Caddy
$324.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99