-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks! I tried everything else (shift, ctrl, alt and combinations thereof!!!).
drb
-
Junior Member
registered user
I must be doing something wrong, because I never get that screen with those 4 options.
I have done this:
1) boot knoppix. once inside, create a persistent home on /dev/hda2 that takes up the entire 1.2 gigs.
2) reboot, this time at boot I type:
knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=/dev/hda2/knoppix.img
I have tried several variations on this, including: leave out "myconfig", use mnt in place of dev
can someone help?
Ok, I think I figured out the problem, and it might technically be a bug in Knoppix. I tried making the persistent home 1.0 gigs instead of 1.2 (so there would be some free space on the partition). I got a dialog I had never seen saying that the persistent home was sucessfully created and knoppix should auto-detect it on boot or I can say home=. personally, I think the persistent home "wizard" should have told me I could not make the home image the same size as the drive (it DOES ask how big you want it to be and tells you how big the drive is.... so I put in the max number). I will try creating some files and see what happens on reboot.
Nope, no success. I don't know what I am doing wrong. can someone post the steps to go from having no persistent home to having one that keeps files and apt-get changes? argh
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can do one of two things: make a loopback image on a partition called "knoppix.img" and use it as your persistent home ("P. H.") using the "home=/mnt/hdXy/knoppix.img" command, or you can (optionally partition then) use an entire partition and use it as your P. H. using the command "home=/mnt/hdXy". It sounds like you're trying to do the latter.
The persistent home configuration wizard gives you the choice between the two: formatting an entire partition, or creating a file ("knoppix.img") within an existing partition.
-
Junior Member
registered user
well, when I go thru the wizard it creates a knoppix.img file in my fat32 partition. maybe if I had unpartitioned space on my drive it would have asked if I wanted to create a partition for the PH.
So, having created the knoppix.img via the wizard, what is the next step? boot using "knoppix lang=us home=scan"?? I don't ever seem to type the right thing that makes Knoppix merge the read only CD DVD with my home, it always merges it with the ramdisk and knoppix boots as though I don't have a persistent home. what could I be doing wrong? my dev/hda is a 19 gig drive, with the first 18 gigs NTFS with WinXP. then I have about 1.2 gigs at the end which I made a fat32 partition and now has knoppix.img at 1.0 gig size. I don't know what I am doing differently than you such that I don't get the PH to merge with the CD.
I think I finally got it.
I remade the image, this time 900 mb. rebooted and did exactly what eco2geek put in his original post:
knoppix lang=us keyboard=us home=/mnt/hda2/knoppix.img
Similar Threads
-
By cyberoidx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
-
By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
-
By Jack_ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By fm78 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99