-
changing permissions of /usr running liveCD
Hi!
I am running knoppix3.7 off the liveCD. I have downloaded the nzb news client. I've gotten the point where I enter "make install", but then I find that /usr/bin/knzb is read-only.
How do I change the permissions? And am I installing to the correct folder for my situation?
Any help is much appreciated! thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
While running from the live CD, you can't make /usr read-write. It's not a matter of permissions, it's a matter of the CD itself being read-only. Except for a few directories that are created in memory, or loaded from a loopback file, if you're using a persistent home, most of the Knoppix file structure is read-only.
(AFAICT, different live CDs have different writeable directories. For example, in the Basilisk/Linux4all live CD, /mnt is read-only, while on Knoppix, /mnt is read-write.)
You can, however, grab the Knoppix 3.8 CeBit Edition (torrent on this tracker), which, for the first time, uses UnionFS to overlay filesystems on top of each other, essentially making the whole filesystem read-write. Then you can compile and install your software while running from the live CD.
(Or, install Knoppix on your hard drive!)
Similar Threads
-
By davidev in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
-
By jhastings in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
-
By Frank362 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
-
By hhayes in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
-
By bigbene in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99