Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I can not surf the net

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15

    I can not surf the net

    I tried ver 3.6 for about a month and suprisingly I had no problems then I installed ver 3.7 ( using sudo knoppix-installer and the recomended instal)
    however it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
    as a user I can dial in but cannot surf the net or get email
    is it posible that I have a user or a fire wall problem?
    as someone who is new could you give me an example of what I should see

    Thanks for all help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Re: I can not surf the net

    Quote Originally Posted by spottyrover
    I tried ver 3.6 for about a month and suprisingly I had no problems then I installed ver 3.7 ( using sudo knoppix-installer and the recomended instal)
    however it seems that only the root user has access to use the net.
    as a user I can dial in but cannot surf the net or get email
    is it posible that I have a user or a fire wall problem?
    take a look in /etc/group. Your user should be in both the diallout and dip groups.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    this is part of my etc/group file is this correct?
    As I have no idea what it means or how it works, is this what I should have?

    dialout:20:steve,www-data,mail
    dip:30:steve,www-data,mail
    www-data:33:steve
    steve:1000:steve,www-data,mail

    Thanks for the reply

Similar Threads

  1. connected to net yet cant surf
    By tekas007 in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
  2. Cannot surf Internet
    By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
  3. Modem connects, but I still can't surf the net
    By WolfBLN in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:25 AM
  4. Got Modem wish to surf with Knoppix ...
    By DavidTempler in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
  5. Surf internet through a Webramp router/hub
    By katrina1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$229.99



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF picture

*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF

$429.00



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$189.99



Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF Intel Core i5-8600 3.1 GHz 8 GB RAM No HDD No OS picture

Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF Intel Core i5-8600 3.1 GHz 8 GB RAM No HDD No OS

$99.99