Using, or not using, either cheat code should not impact your ability to do a hard disk install.
Hi all,
Currently using ancient win98se pc with ancient parts. To get the live cd to run, I have to use the nofstab cheat. Will this be a problem if I go for a HD install, or will saving nofstab to the config be sufficient?
I also have the same question about the nodma cheat. Qtparted hangs on my system if dma is enabled. Something to worry about, or shall I just add nodma to the config too?
Anyway, TIA.
G
Using, or not using, either cheat code should not impact your ability to do a hard disk install.
thx!
Agreed.
There's a very, very, very slight difference in the "shoulds" between nodma and nofstab.
If your drives don't support DMA, then that's that. Turn it off and all will be well.
It sounds like maybe nofstab is also needed for your hardware, so in a sense that's the same situation. But I think everyone should use nofstab once Knoppix is installed to HD.
See, as a "live CD" - which is what Knoppix is designed for - it never knows what computer it will boot up next, so it has to rebuild /etc/fstab every time it starts.
Okay, fine, but that's not the situation once it's insalled and settled in. People get their /etc/fstab set the way they want it, and then sometimes Knoppix comes along and changes it.
The only reason I'm not still running Win98SE on one of my boxes is that it got totally hosed (by Boot Magic, I think), and I couldn't re-install it. So now it's WinME plus a few more fun things like FreeBSD and Plan9.
As for my other box - WinXP won't boot right now, but I've been having too much fun with Knoppix and a few other distros to worry about it.
Anyway. Go, and enjoy.
-- Ed
Cheers Ed - I eventually found that I didn't need the nofstab cheat, just the nodma one. I've now got knoppix on the HD, and am booting off the cd. Whoopee!
Excellent! Have fun!
-- Ed

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00