Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installed windows and grub was messed up

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36

    Installed windows and grub was messed up

    I installed Windows XP on a fat 32 partition, but before I could finish the instalation, once the computer rebooted to finish installing windows, I just couldn't boot anything anymore. I had Linux installed before without any trouble, but I decided to install windows on the extra partition I had. The message I receive when I start my computer says:

    Can't find NTLDR, please restart (or something like that)

    How do I fix this???? I think something happened to grub, but I don;t know what exactly. Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    None of the following should be considered absolutely correct:

    Grub normally installs to the MBR (Master boot record), a portion of the first sector of the first hard disk, although you have the option when installing Lilo (and I expect grub as well) to install it to the Linux partition. Windows has a windows centric additude and always installs a Widows boot loader to the MBR when it is installed, so grub on the MBR was wiped out.

    I expect that you can reinstall grub. I've never done it, but I would start with "man grub" from the Live CD. Or you can install grub or lilo to the Linux partition (the approach I've taken when installing Debian) and install SBM or XOSL to the MBR. SBM is small and should be easy to reinstall to the MBR whenever needed. XOSL is well aware of the issue and part of the XOSL setup is to make a "recovery" floppy. Then whenever you install any software that wants to wipe out your MBR you just go ahead and let it, but you recover from the XOSL recovery floppy right after the install (not sure what you would do if you were on a newer system with no floppy drive. It would be easy enough to copy the MBR manually but I don't have any tool to do it automatically that I know of.)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36
    ok, since grub was erased, how do I install LILO or grub, I don't really care which loader I use. And what is SBM and how do I install it. Thanx

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by emmbec
    ok, since grub was erased, how do I install LILO or grub, I don't really care which loader I use. And what is SBM and how do I install it. Thanx
    I have only installed lilo and only to the Linux directory. I would think you should start by reading the man pages, man lilo and/or man grub in a command shell (boot the live CD to get back into Knoppix).

    SBM is Smart Boot Manager, a small boot manager that can fit in the MBR or be run from a floppy disk and will let you boot multiple OSs from one or more hard drives, as well as let you boot from CD or floppy, all without having to change settings in the BIOS. It will also let you boot a CD on an old BIOS that does not support it. Click on the name for the link.

    XOSL is a boot manager that I really like. It stands for eXtended Operating System Loader. It is a bit bigger, does not fit on a single floppy, when installed to the MBR it needs either some extra space in the Windows partition or in it's own patition (I really recommend giving it its own partition, no matter what the author says). The benefits of XOSL over SBM is that it is more powerful with more features (including built-in partition software (Ranish)) and a much cleaner graphical GUI that makes it much easier to use. I have used both. My choice is XOSL but either should work (as should grub, although it doesn't do stuff like CD booting AFAIK).

Similar Threads

  1. Poorman's install, when Kubuntu and Grub are installed
    By ryzvonusef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
  2. How do I boot iso file from already installed grub?
    By maestrobwh1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
  3. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. i think i messed up windows...
    By rossndahood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
  5. Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.
    By OziD in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00