Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Auto Mount?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12

    Auto Mount?

    Ok I have add nofstab in the lilo.conf and changed noauto to auto in my fstab but still my data drive isn't mounted on bootup??

    I found the info once before but not this time...my searches bring up to many hits

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9

    did you...

    you say you added "nofstab" to /etc/lilo.conf.....then did you run lilo?? the changes don't happen until you type "lilo" and hit enter at the prompt

    also did you double-check your fstab (check after you boot) to make sure that the partition you wanna auto mount is set to auto mount...if knoppix HW-autodetect gets its hands on it, it'll change it back ...my backup drive looks something like this in my /etc/fstab:

    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0

    I didn't know about the "nofstab" so I just changed the owner of /etc/fstab to my user and gave write permissions to only me (root & everyone can read, but only I can write).....however that doesn't save me any time on the boot.

    cheers
    Eugene

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    Interesting how ever I am not clear about 2 points

    1. so does changing the fstab file permission to user stop the hardware detect from changing it?

    2. where would I add nofstab in the file?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12
    [quote="spottyrover"]Interesting how ever I am not clear about 2 points

    1. so does changing the fstab file permission to user stop the hardware detect from changing it?

    2. where would I add nofstab in the file?

    Add it to the end of the append= line
    but you need to run some commandline to set the thing in knoppix....I think it was ls something??

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9

    here...

    spottyrover: 1) yes by changing the write permission only your user can write to the file, but be sure to leave it so that everyone can read it.
    2) I guess (I didn't write it) you would pass the "nofstab" command at the first boot prompt of knoppix (if you're running from bootable cd) ....if it's on your harddrive go into your /etc/lilo.conf and find the kernel you normally use (either 2.4.27 or 2.6.9 unless you added a new one yourself) and find the line in it's section that starts with "append" and add "nofstab" to it....then you must save the file and run "lilo" at the prompt.

    heres a copy of my fstab (just for my extra drive that I want to be mounted):

    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0

    heres a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf (just the part with the kernel I use - which I added 2.6.10)...I added the "nofstab" just so you can see where it goes.....I do not normally have it and have never tried it....I'd try it with the boot cd to make sure it works first):

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686
    label="Linux-2.6.10"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-1-686
    append="nofstab ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce atapicd alsa splash"
    read-only


    hope this helps
    Cheers
    Eugene

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    I was wondering if you could do this.
    As someone new I need as much detail as possible some thing which is hard to get at times

    Thanks again I will give it a go

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9

    root

    actually I've realized if you change the owner to yourself, root will overwrite it....so....you have to leave the owner as root and just remove the write permissions

    Cheers
    Eugene

Similar Threads

  1. Auto mount persistant image on boot
    By luka in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
  2. basic auto mount question
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
  3. Auto Mount after booting from CD
    By mahdi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
  4. Could not create mount point '/mnt/auto/cdrom1'
    By milne in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:26 AM
  5. Auto mount of hard disk drive
    By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99