-
Running Knoppix on a Windows computer
I have two machines in my office, my own Windows box and my brother's machine. I remember reading something about a program that would let me run Knoppix on one machine and see the KDE desktop on another Windows machine. I like to play around with Knoppix, but (unfortunately) my machine is pretty much always on with Windows, and I'd like to be able to access Knoppix without having to reboot, run a virtual machine, or having to walk clear across the room to his desk,
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Not quite sure what you want. People have run Knoppix on a virtual machine under windows. It runs slow, takes a load of memory, and frankly other than an exercise to say that it indeed can be done I see no good reason for it. Of course, that's just my opnion.
If you want remote control of one computer from the screen of another, then maybe what you want is one of several programs that use the "vnc" protocol. VNC lets you view one desktop from another computer and run applacations as if you were on that system. There are clients and servers for many systems, including Windows and Linux. You run a VNC server on the system that you want to be able to control and a VNC client on any machine that you want to use to access it, each can be running any OS that VNC supports, the same OS or a different OS.
Unfortunately, I just looked at my newest Knoppix disc and while I can find a VNC client ("Remote Desktop Connection" under the Internet menu), I can't see a VNC server. Maybe it's there and I just can't find it, maybe it would need to be installed (and all of the related issues that that includes).
-
Knoppix - System - Desktop Sharing
it sets up pretty much the same as vnc
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
marhleet
Knoppix - System - Desktop Sharing
it sets up pretty much the same as vnc
Interesting, thanks. Do you know, does this use the VNC protocol? If not what client do I need to asscess it from the other computer? Getting back to the original problem, is there a client that can access it from a Windows system?
-
my std vnc client looks at it fine.
works the same way with password, and screen number if you want to change the default port.
Similar Threads
-
By Aspra in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-05-2006, 11:12 PM
-
By CytoTech in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-22-2005, 07:37 AM
-
By Spartan 219 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
-
By shutdown in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:34 AM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)
$329.98

Alegra 512KB Fast RAM Side Expansion for Amiga 1000, Tested, Working
$199.00

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$225.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2
$75.00

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks
$199.00