-
Difficulty Booting into X server
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to use Knoppix on an older PC to build a print server for my network. In principle I've tested the print server concept on a Dell Dimension 4400 and experienced no difficulties, but when I try it on the older machine I'm having a difficult time of it.
The machine is a Pentium equivalent WinChip 200Mhz machine, 156Meg of memory and a SiS 5568 chipset video built onto the mobo. Finally, I use an old IBM 8512 monitor that has a 640x480 resolution, horizontal refresh of 31.5Khz and 60 to 70hz refresh in the vertical. In order to get a 'viewable' screen (ie: not scrambled or black) at the boot prompt I'm entering: knoppix-txt hsync=31.5 vsync=60 screen=640x480 depth=8.
I'm using KDE and get the task bar across the bottom of the screen, but do not have any of the drive icons displaying on the desktop as noted on the Dell (I'm expecting an icon for two cd rom drives, a hard drive, and floppy drive). Note: knoppix 'notices' all drives during the boot up. Also, when the konquer web browser starts, it is mostly off the screen. I'm am trying to figure out how to scale the window so that all GUI windows 'scale' to the screen and can be used easily.
I've tried to boot into text mode using the knoppix 2 cheat code and only got a black screen with small white dots. As if Knoppix didn't recognize the monitor's parameters. Can someone help me with configuring Knoppix to work with this system better.
Regards,
Paul
-
Senior Member
registered user
If all you want to do is set up a print server after a hd install you could hook up a monitor that works, get the print server settings done then manage the thing using ssh from another box on the network.
Not pretty but you probably don't need to deal with the video issues as a practical matter
Similar Threads
-
By frist in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
-
By jwally in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 10:36 AM
-
By dfloyd4 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 02:36 AM
-
By Doug in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
-
By Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage IBM Model M Keyboard 1391401 Buckling Spring PS/2 Keyboard 1988
$200.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB
$49.99

Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box
$75.00

Vintage Toshiba T3400CT Mini Laptop 486SX-33, 4MB **NO POST, Bad Screen, AS-IS
$75.00

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS
$59.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37