-
Junior Member
registered user
Multi distros and LILO
Ok everyone,
1st, thanks for the help!!! I did move my WWW dir. Next, I'll work on home... Here's what I have:
/hda1 - knoppix
/hda2 - swap
/hda3 - soon to be home
/hda5 - WWW dir
/hda6 - KANOTIX
/hda7 - /hda? ----> other distros later
Now, I need a little help with LILO. I have knoppix up no problems. The KANOTIX is another story. Mr Ed (and/or others reading this), would you mind posting a little of your loader?
Also people, what other distros are you using????
Thanks for the help!
Radnor
-
Senior Member
registered user
You mean /etc/lilo.conf? Here's an example built on your information:
Code:
# /etc/lilo.conf
# LILO 22.6.1
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
timeout=100
read-only
# LILO home partition
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=Knoppix
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us"
# other Linux
image=/mnt/hda7/vmlinuz-2.6.8
label=Debian_2.6.8
root=/dev/hda7
initrd=/mnt/hda7/initrd.img-2.6.8
# other Linux
image=/mnt/hda7/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label=Debian_2.4.27
root=/dev/hda7
initrd=/mnt/hda7/initrd.img-2.4.27
# non-Linux
other=/dev/hda8
label=NetBSD
change
As you know from reading $ man lilo.conf
there are two main sections to the file. At the top are "global options" that either affect how LILO functions and displays (like timeout) or that you want applied to all of the bootable images (like read-only).
Then come "stanzas," one for each different system you want to boot. Effectively, there are three kinds of stanzas: ones for the Linux that hosts LILO, ones for other Linuxes, and ones for operating systems other than Linux.
It's possible to have /etc/lilo.conf in every Linux partition and to run LILO from whichever one you happen to be in. The files can't be identical - they have to reflect which partition you're in. So the stanza for hda1 will be a little different depending on whether you're running LILO from hda1, which makes that partition the host, or from hda7, which makes that partition the host.
But the difference isn't big. In the example, the "other Linux" stanzas need their own root line to override the one set up in the global options, which reflects LILO's host partition.
Notice that you can have more than one stanza per partition. If you want to try out a new kernel before committing to it, add a stanza for it. If the new kernel crashes or just doesn't work out, you can still easily boot into the original.
Notice also that you have to pay attention to where the distro puts the kernel!
As it happens, Debian does actually stash things in the /boot directory, but for whatever reason also provides symlinks in the root directory that point to the relevant items in /boot. That's okay, LILO can follow the symlinks.
Also notice that not every distro uses an initial ramdisk. But for those that do, the initrd line is mandatory.
You can read about the change option in the man page. The way I use it here, actually, is to turn it off - LILO doesn't need to fool around with hiding and deactivating partitions for Windows' sake. It shouldn't be necessary for extended partitions, but it seems to make LILO run more smoothly.
I hope this helps!
-- Ed
-
Junior Member
registered user
Mr. Ed,
Thanks!!! I got it to work after posting. Sure it will help someone else out. I have the Knoppix and Kanotix installed now. May start looking for other distros now. The other thing I was thinking about.... I was thinking about another partition as a backup. Before installing anything, I was thinking about doing a "cp -r" to backup the partition in case of ....
I did change the delay a little.
Thanks again!
Radnor
Similar Threads
-
By yozef in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 20
Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:27 AM
-
By jMon54 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM
-
By o3greg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:35 AM
-
By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By stonent in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF + 2SFF 2x10/1Gbe H730 Mini 2x 750W Server
$348.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99