-
7 days to clone 250GB HDD - What am I doing wrong?
Warning: Linux NEWBIE
I am attempting to clone my damaged external HDD (USB 2.0) to a new identical exernal HDD (USB 2.0) - both are 250Gb Maxtor ATA/133 7200RPM.
I started Knoppix CD Live in my laptop (Thinkpad P4M 2 Ghz). I switched to an X-Windows session and from the root@tty1[/]$ prompt I used the following command:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc conv=noerror,sync bs=8k
The transfer rate was approximately 1.4Gb/Hr (The actual listed transfer rate was 368k/s). That is about 7.5 days to clone a 250Gb HDD. Can that be right??
I did have a number of I/O error messages listed as the transfer moved throught the HDD. At 5.2Gb transfered I closed the session.
I see from several posts and the http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...veUsingKnoppix article that the basic:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc
command is recommended. Am I making a mistake by adding conv=noerror,sync bs=8k to the command? Should I increase the bs rate?
Sorry for such a stupid question. Any help will be MUCH appreciated!
Ken
.................................
Details:
Disk Information (Damaged HDD):
Manufacturer: Maxtor One Touch USB 2.0 / Firewire (External) HDD
Details: Size: 250Gb / Label: Maxtor / Filesystem: NTFS
Computer Information:
IBM Thinkpad R40 - Intel P4 2.4Ghz / 1Gb RAM / 40Gb HDD
Recovery Disk:
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - ATA/133 16MB buffer - USB 2.0
Details: Size: 250Gb / Label: DiaMax / Fi
Similar Threads
-
By cruman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-02-2006, 02:42 AM
-
By dextermovies in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 05:39 PM
-
By false-hopes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 01:02 AM
-
By VeeDubb in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 26
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
-
By iconfly in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99