Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix, network, windows, switch

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix, network, windows, switch

    I have a laptop downstairs, this one, with Windows XP Pro on it.
    I have a switch/router/hub so I could connect this laptop to that, and run an ethernet cable from the hub to my laptop upstairs (with Knoppix on the HD)
    Could I then use the internet upstairs if I turned on ICS on my Windows Laptop?
    Or... Could I possibly use a proxy server on this computer and just set proxy settings for everything on knoppix?

    Any ideas welcome

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix, network, windows, switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Guider
    Any ideas welcome
    How do you connect to the Internet??

    Assuming that you have an ethernet connection to a high speed modem (or if you have USB that you ditch that and go to ethernet), then I would recommend that you get one of the very inexpensive DSL/cable routers and use that to share your Internet connection. It will work much better than the Microsoft based Linux hostile "connection sharing", and will provide an extra level of hardware firewall protection to all systems including the Windows system. These devices are now often $10 or less after rebate.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix, network, windows, switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Guider
    I have a switch/router/hub
    A switch is different than a hub. A router usually includes a switch but that is not to say that a router is a switch. What do you have, make and model? Is there some reason that you don't hook that up to the high speed modem and use it as it was intended?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13

    Re: Knoppix, network, windows, switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guider
    Any ideas welcome
    How do you connect to the Internet??

    Assuming that you have an ethernet connection to a high speed modem (or if you have USB that you ditch that and go to ethernet), then I would recommend that you get one of the very inexpensive DSL/cable routers and use that to share your Internet connection. It will work much better than the Microsoft based Linux hostile "connection sharing", and will provide an extra level of hardware firewall protection to all systems including the Windows system. These devices are now often $10 or less after rebate.
    I use a BT Voyager 100 modem, which doesn't have an ethernet socket. It's usb.
    I have a Belkin Switch, can't remember the exact model. Anyway...
    I installed Knoppix onto the laptop, and am currently typing from Windows XP Pro
    Cables running from both laptops to switch, but when I try to browse the network it says there are no Workgroups on the network
    I changed the smb.conf file so it said the workgroup was "HOME" which is what my Windows laptop is, but it's still not working.
    I also have absolutely NO money, and this Saturday I'm supposed to be going to London and I have to come up with £150 by Friday.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13
    One of my cables suck apparently, it doesn't work all the time :think:
    Anyway...I just booted up windows on one of my computers and that won't network with my XP pro (the other is 9
    I love knoppix!

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix, network, windows, switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Guider
    I use a BT Voyager 100 modem, which doesn't have an ethernet socket. It's usb.
    IMHO this is the core of your problem. USB modems have many shortcomings and I do not believe should ever be used. My suggestion would be to get a different modem. Maybe you can get one from your ISP. Maybe you can get one from your ISP if you threaten to drop service otherwise. Maybe you can get one from another ISP by dropping the first and going to them. Maybe you can get one "free after rebate" if you sign up for new service, in which case you can call and drop your service and then while the sales rep is still on the line thell them you want to sign up for new service (something I did years ago with Mindspring when they wouldn't offer loyal existing customers the same deal they offered new customers). You may even be able to find a friend who has an unused ethernet modem (I have a few who do). I would stay away from the "eBay of thieves", but just about any other way to get a decent modem would be great.

    Once you have a decent modem, add a router (if the new modem does not already come with one built in as many now do). This will give you multiple ports to plug in computers or your switch (usually 4), provide an important hardware firewall, and maybe even provide you wireless access (good luck getting wireless to work with Knoppix, but lets save that for a different thread). It will also save you from having to fight with Internet Connection Sharing from a company that seems to do all they can to sabatoge Linux users.

    My ISP wanted to provide me with an USB interface too. I fought with several people to avoid it and to avoid absurd overcharges to get an ethernet modem. I got an eithernet modem and I got it at "no charge", with the same monthly cost that the USB would have been. You just have to make it clear to the ISP that if they want a customer or want to keep a customer they need to provide equipment that you can actually use. It may be too late to help you but a tip for others dealing with a new ISP: tell them that you are running Win95 (they don't understand it when you say you are running Linux) and that you have no free slots in your computer but your computer does have an etherenet port. This seems to be a magic combo that fits their level of understanding and indetifies a system that needs an ethernet modem rather than a USB modem or even worse an internal modem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    27
    HEY, USB and internal modems are actually "Soft"modems meant to work only on Windows, they lack half the hardware so are "soft". Actually they are more of SUCK than soft. They really suck. Yeah i'm real angry at the creators of these modems. Even companies like HP / Compaq are making these modems, its a shame.

    Anyways here is where you should start. : www.linmodems.com : they have this wierd email discussion system, and this results in a LOT of spam, though i can see people who are haoppy with the help they got there.

    or start.at/modem : this site is real good, i found a lot about my modem here, have a look too.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberoidx
    HEY, USB and internal modems are actually "Soft"modems meant to work only on Windows, they lack half the hardware so are "soft".
    You are mixing concepts here. Internal dial-up modems are this way, they contain little more than a D to A & A to D chip and expect software to do the work. For High Speed broadband use like we are talking of here this is not the case. Still, there are lots of issues about these devices having secrets that their makers do not reveal and only being supported in Windows. In the case of a USB high speed modem I would not even want one if I was only using Windows. They are simply to be avoided.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    27
    Ooops, i thought it was a Dial-up USB modem.

    Just a question, dont your companies offer you drivers? I myself got tired of doing experiments with my Modem, and there was nothing on their site, so i called their distributers in my city, and VOILA, hey sent me the drivers.......

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix windows Network
    By pedro47 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
  2. Baisc Question about a Knoppix-Switch-Network
    By pi8ch in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. Windows and knoppix network
    By ssnow in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 10:26 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.3 on a Windows network
    By fermier in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 01:23 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08