Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Firewall?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12

    Firewall?

    Is there a firewall in knoppix installed by default? if so where can I take a look at it and if not where can I get one such as ZA that doesn't require manual entry of ACL lists?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Firewall?

    --If you're installed to HD, ' apt-get install firestarter ' is what I'd recommend. There's some kind of goofy firewall involving a dog somehow on the live-cd, but IIRC it's _caused_ more problems than it has solved.

    --Myself, I use a home-brewed iptables script; but I've run into some bugs with it recently after switching to broadband.

    Quote Originally Posted by rubic_cube
    Is there a firewall in knoppix installed by default? if so where can I take a look at it and if not where can I get one such as ZA that doesn't require manual entry of ACL lists?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    if all you want to do is browse the net safely you can use this mini-script:

    in /home/knoppix create a file called "blockall" and place the following script inside it:

    #!/bin/sh
    iptables -F
    iptables -A INPUT -p all -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

    (==>>note: this is the edited & corrected version of the script! <<==)

    then run the following commands:

    chmod +x blockall
    sudo ./blockall

    and that's it. All your ports are closed, you cannot run any server, but you can surf safely.

    to reopen everything (to stop this script) simply execute:

    iptables -F


    HTH

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Have you tried ' nmap'ping a box running that script? There's no DROP rule...

    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    if all you want to do is browse the net safely you can use this mini-script:

    in /home/knoppix create a file called "blockall" and place the following script inside it:

    #!/bin/sh
    iptables -F
    iptables -A INPUT -p all -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -p

    then run the following commands:

    chmod +x blockall
    sudo ./blockall

    and that's it. All your ports are closed, you cannot run any server, but you can surf safely.

    to reopen everything (to stop this script) simply execute:

    iptables -F

    HTH

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12
    It's ok I'll just play around with iptables some more.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Have you tried ' nmap'ping a box running that script? There's no DROP rule...
    you are absolutely correct. I am sorry about being sloppy. I edited and correted the script in my post above. thanks for pointing this out to everybody

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12
    Whenever I try and use the log command nothing happens.

    The general iptables -A INPUT -j LOG to log all incoming packets does not generate anything in the syslog file, what do I need to do?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by rubic_cube
    Whenever I try and use the log command nothing happens.

    The general iptables -A INPUT -j LOG to log all incoming packets does not generate anything in the syslog file, what do I need to do?
    it is my understanding that this script does not allow for any logging. if you want to see how it works, you need to nmap it, or use an online port scanner.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12
    The code logs everything, I can read the log only by doing dmesg syslog, and I can see everything that has been logged, the weird thing is if I try to open syslog any other way it says 0 bytes, so it's empty.

Similar Threads

  1. firewall??
    By zenlakin in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
  2. Guarddog-Firewall
    By b4sunset in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:54 AM
  3. Firewall
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
  4. firewall
    By dugstratton in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Firewall
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$189.99



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 64GB DDR4-2666 PC4-2666V ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin M386A8K40BM2-CTD7Q picture

Samsung 64GB DDR4-2666 PC4-2666V ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin M386A8K40BM2-CTD7Q

$300.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$378.00