Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: booting knoppix 3.7(was:3.2): Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem

  1. #1

    booting knoppix 3.7(was:3.2): Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem

    Hi everybody.

    I destroyed by boot loader and try to get into my system with a KNOPPIX 3.2 DVD. Unfortunately, I get the message
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem.

    I tried various options, including failsafe, nodma, and pcmcia in various combinations.

    What else should I try?

    I have a Toshiba M200 Portege and a Toshiba DVD drive.

    Thank you, Uli

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    A Knoppix 3.2 DVD??? Where did you get such a thing?

    The error you have usually indicates either an incorrect procedure used to burn the disc (including not checking the md5 sum, not burning the iso file "as an image" and/or burning at a high speed rather than a slow speed like 4x) or hardware problems reading the disc. If it's hardware problems reading the disc (I have my doubts) then you might resolve it with the "cheat code" "knoppix nodma" at the boot prompt, but if I remember version 3.2 properly, nodma was the default back then. So I'm guessing that you should follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq to see if that doesn't help clear up the issue.

  3. #3
    Harry, thanks for your response.

    I don't think that my problem is related to a bad disk. I'm using the official Linux Tag Konferenz DVD 2003.
    I also tried the nodma option and it did not help.

    Uli

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Scholz
    Harry, thanks for your response.

    I don't think that my problem is related to a bad disk. I'm using the official Linux Tag Konferenz DVD 2003.
    I also tried the nodma option and it did not help.

    Uli
    I didn't realize they did a DVD in 2003. If what you have was distributed at a show or included in a magazine then I expect it is correct, although if it was burnt rather than pressed then it may well have been burnt at a high speed. I can't explain it, but we have seen a lot of problems with discs that are burnt at high speed, they tend to boot on some systems but not others. (See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78925#78925
    and http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788 for some discussion of this).

    Again, I didn't think nodma would help on version 3.2, I really mentioned it in case you were really using something newer like the 3.7 DVD. It still could be an issue with your dirve having problems reading that particular disc, you might try booting it on another system (or even another drive if your computer has more than 1). If it does work on another system you might even try making a copy and trying the copy on the computer that failed (obviously, I suggest that the copy be burnt at a slow speed). Or just download a newer ISO (3.2 is somewhat dated), check the md5 sum, and then burn that as an image at slow speed and you'll likely be running. I suggest using the bittorrent link found from the Get Knoppix link at the top of this page. Unfortunately, although 3.8 was just handed out at CeBIT, the newest official release is still 3.7. If you want to play with 3.8 there are some unofficial trackers mentioned in this long thread about the 3.8 release.

  5. #5
    The Knoppix 3.2 DVD works with another machine. I will try to get a newer Knoppix version - slowly stewed, not burnt - and try again.

  6. #6

    booting knoppix 3.7 (was:3.2): Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem

    Dear all,

    now I tried it with a fresh, careful made Koppix 3.7 CD. Unfortunately, I got the same results.

    I tried many combinations of knoppix/knoppix26, nodma, failsafe, and pcmcia.

    Does anyone have another idea what I could try?

    Thank you, Uli

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    The Toshiba Portege M200 is a tablet PC right?
    Doesn't have a buildin CD/DVD drive, right?

    So that means your using an external drive, right?

    Do you know what kind of drive you are using? Is it USB? Firewire? or some other interface?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Oh, you can allso set up a knoppix terminal server on your main PC and try to boot from the network with your portage

  9. #9
    The Toshiba Portege M200 is a tablet PC right?
    Doesn't have a buildin CD/DVD drive, right?
    So that means your using an external drive, right?
    Yes, yes, and yes!

    It is a Toshiba DVD Rom, it says: Cable II PCMCIA PC Card "Designed for Toshiba"

    Oh, you can allso set up a knoppix terminal server on your main PC and try to boot from the network with your portage
    To be honest, I have no idea what you mean with that.

    BTW, the Laptop is dual boot and Windows still comes up.

    Uli

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Scholz
    The Toshiba Portege M200 is a tablet PC right?
    Doesn't have a buildin CD/DVD drive, right?
    So that means your using an external drive, right?
    Yes, yes, and yes!

    It is a Toshiba DVD Rom, it says: Cable II PCMCIA PC Card "Designed for Toshiba"
    All I can say about this is: "Uh-oh"

    Oh, you can allso set up a knoppix terminal server on your main PC and try to boot from the network with your portage
    To be honest, I have no idea what you mean with that.
    Boot Knoppix on your main PC, click on the pinguin icon, select "Services" and then click "Start Knoppix Terminal server"
    After you've finished setting that up, you can boot your portege from the network (this is called PXE, and newer PC's should support this)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem?
    By Oblivious Sage in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 04:59 AM
  2. Booting remaster from SATA disk -Can't find root filesystem!
    By whohelhee in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 03:12 PM
  3. Booting problem: "Can't find Knoppix filesystem"
    By yosibeck in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 08:26 PM
  4. Cant Find KNOPPIX filesystem - Booting from USB PenDrive
    By piper in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 04:23 PM
  5. Can't Find Knoppix FileSystem
    By firefly2442 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00