Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13

    KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!

    I am new to knoppix have become confused on how to install knoppix to run off the HD. I have a blank HD and would like to install Knoppix on to it. The HD is 20GB I want Koppix on just a 10GB partition. After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot.

    Hope you can help

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    ... After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot....
    I'm not the right person to advise anyone to install Knoppix onto a hard drive, but if you do plan to do so and also have XP on the disk I would very strongly suggest htat life will be much simpler if you install Windows first to a small partition and then install Knoppix. Windows really doesn't like other OS's and will wipe out your boot loader when it is installed,. If you install Windows first and leave space for Knoppix then you can at least avoid that problem and focus on the other problems of Knoppix installed to hard disk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Do I use NTFS or FAT?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Do I use NTFS or FAT?
    For the XP partition you can use either. If you think there is ever any reason that you will want to write to that partition with Knoppix then use FAT. If you want some of the newer features available only with NTFS (files larger than 4 gig, access control by user and encrypted file systems) then use NTFS but if you do never write to the disk with Knoppix (look but don't touch). I have an XP system with 1 NTFS partition and 1 FAT partition, works fine.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)
    Sorry. I can't help you on that. Read through the forum, it's been discussed over and over. There is also an install FAQ in the documentation section. Personally I believe that if you install Knoppix rather than Debian you anger the gods and will be punished. But I could be wrong.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    what's the difference between the 2?

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    what's the difference between the 2?
    I don't understand the question, what 2 do you speak of? And AFAIK there are at least 3 ways to attempt to install Knoppix to HD. But the forum and the faq are where I would look for the information.

    If you mean between Knoppix and Debian, Knoppix is a mix of various versions of Debian and was primairaly intended for running off a Live CD. Certain decisions were made that work well when running from a Live CD, not so well once installed. On top of that the install techniques leave something to be desired, you just have to read through the forum to see how many posts there are about a network or something else that worked fine when booting from the Live CD but stopped working after an install to HD. IMHO people like to install Knoppix to HD becuase Knoppix does a great job of hardware detection and quickly comes up with a full menu of nice applications and a nice look to the GUI. But installing and updating Knoppix can be much more of a problem than installing and updating a Debian system, amoung other reasons because of Knoppix's choice to mix stable, unstable and experimental versions. Installing Debian may take a bit more work, particularly if you are relatively new to Linux, but you learn in the process and hopefully have a more stable system when you are done, as well as being more experienced and better able to set up exactly what you want.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Sorry mate

    Debian or Knoppix?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Is Debian a free download? I really need it for security. The Knoppix STD has loads. like Nessus, ntop and Ethereal already installed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08