Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Writing 2 windows file systems after booting from Hard disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7

    Writing 2 windows file systems after booting from Hard disk

    Hi there - I'm new to knoppix so apologies for my ignorance.
    I don't have Knopix installed on my HD, but boot from the
    Knoppix image on a spare internal hard drive ( hdb1 ).
    The boot CD is in my CDROM drive at startup and at the boot up prompt
    I enter " knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdb1 " to boot from the spare partition.
    The system then runs from the Knoppix file on my spare partition and
    I can take the CD out and free up my CDROM DRIVE.
    The question I want to ask is can I , and if so how, write to my
    other ( windows) partition. I want to save files from when I work in
    Knoppix onto my hard disk. Obviously it wont' let me save to hdb1
    but can I make hda1 writeable. hda1 is readable as I can read all my windows data
    from it. How can I make this writeable so I can save my work from Knoppix onto it.
    If it is writeable, does it have any detrimental effects on the hard drive in question ?
    Use Windows98 SE which is installed on hda1.
    Thanks a lot for your help !

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You mentioned Windows98SE and if so then hda1 probably is a FAT32 filesystem of which Knoppix has no problem both reading & writing. It is only NTFS used in WinNT/2000/XP/2003 that Knoppix has difficulties with.

    So you should find on your Knoppix desktop a icon from hda1 & if you right click and go the properties, it has a devices section which has a "read-only" check box. Uncheck that check box & now file can be written to hda1.
    If you have futher questions, please ask.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks a lot James ! Was just worried about filesystem incompatibilites !

Similar Threads

  1. Writing to Hard Disk on Windows XP
    By eeoam in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 04:12 PM
  2. Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User
    By saorstat_eireann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 08:22 AM
  3. writing on windows xp partition hard disk
    By francy222 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
  4. How I can modify a file on the hard disk!
    By Ionut in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
  5. Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
    By conor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00