Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix installed, but not booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    8

    Knoppix installed, but not booting

    I installed knoppix on my harddisk and everything seemed to go ok. My trouble is that
    when I try to boot my PC, it is not booting Knoppix, but another version of Linux which
    I had tried to install.

    It looks like my '/' directory has the correct 'vmlinux'.

    I expected the install process to setup my boot loader
    for me. Do I need to set up lilo or grub?

    Jim Anderson

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evergreen,Co
    Posts
    28
    What Knoppix version? Can I assume you get a lilo screen. The reason I ask is that I just installed 3.8 and had a similar problem. In older versions(or maybe it's just me) you simply went to etc/lilo.conf and changed whatever. Well on my 3.8 it doesn't look the same nor does it have any effect on lilo. In fact I commented out everything just to be sure and then did a shell "lilo" and got back a slew of error replies. BUT lilo does come up and boots and everything works. The lilo screen has the countdown in the middle of the screen instead of in the box where it belongs and it lists the other OS's I no longer have. I have found that there is "a whole lot of mapping going on". By trial and error I have managed to get lilo as it should be but I certainly am not an experienced enough linux person to explain any of it. I hope someone else can for both our sakes.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    51
    First make sure it's set for MBR in the knoppix-installer.
    Next you should see a console at the end of the install
    with Lilo output make sure it's happy at the end (you could also just run lilo again)
    Also on my machine (eMachines M5310) Lilo only worked currectly if I boot "knoppix" not knoppix26

    What version of knoppix are you running? and what is your output from Lilo?

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix when Intel Boot Agent is installed.
    By hat_monkey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
  2. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  3. Booting from ISO installed on USB stick
    By vortex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
  4. Interception of Booting to installed version?
    By oldgeezer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 04:24 PM
  5. Booting problems (cd drivers not installed at start)
    By Megagun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00