Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting from Floppy + HD +CDROM query !

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7

    Booting from Floppy + HD +CDROM query !

    Hi, could someone explain this !
    I have the main knoppix file ( not Knoppix.iso but just Knoppix ) on a partition on my hard disk ( hdb1).
    I have created booty floppies ( 2 were needed) as I could not boot direct from CD ( Got Knoppix up and going via a boot manager as I could not boot from CD)
    Now, I did not want to install Knoppix on my HD, hence I just copied the main knoppix file onto the hdb1 partition.
    I put the floppies in at boot time and at the boot prompt I enter :
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdb1

    ie to load the Knoppix file from my hard drive.
    The problem is I have to have the Knoppix CD in the CDdrive for the system to load from my Hard drive.
    If I do the procedure without the CD in the drive, the screen freezes at the "Welcome to Knopix live CD"
    and does not go any further.
    The whole point was to boot from floppy and load the OS from the Knoppix file on my HD and to avoid putting the Knoppix CD into the CD drive. Knoppix does load from my HD as I can take the Knoppix CD out and I hear my HD working as I use Knoppix.. Does the Knoppix CD contain files needed to start the OS ? I thought the main KNoppix file and the 2 boot floppies would be suffice to get Knoppix up and running.
    Is there as cheatcode I should use at the boot prompt so I do not need to have the Knoppix CD in the drive ? Like I said the whole point was to try to get Knopix up and running via the 2 boot floppies and the Knoppix file on my hdb1 partition. Is the latter possible or will I have to keep sticking in the CD along with the boot floppies at startup.
    Thanks for any help / tips/advice/ clarification of the issue !

    Mr White.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    You didn't say what version you have but try "fromhd" without any arguments
    and see if it finds knoppix on your hard drive.
    You might want to check out the book Knoppix Hacks which describes how
    to do what you want in hack#5. Good luck

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from pcmcia cdrom: pcmcia modules floppy image?
    By gjhicks in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 05:44 AM
  2. Floppy and CDROM not mounted
    By turbines in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 12:21 PM
  3. problems with cdrom and floppy dev
    By budhead in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
  4. cant boot from cdrom only floppy
    By CSY in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM
  5. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



HP Z640 Xeon E5-2643 v3, 64GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 2TB HDD, GTX 1050 Ti, Win 11 Pro picture

HP Z640 Xeon E5-2643 v3, 64GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 2TB HDD, GTX 1050 Ti, Win 11 Pro

$435.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00