-
DVD or CD
Does it matter weather I put knoppix on a CD or DVD as I want to put it on a DVD?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: DVD or CD

Originally Posted by
ComDriver
Does it matter weather I put knoppix on a CD or DVD as I want to put it on a DVD?
There have been DVD versions that include a lot more files. The ~700meg ISO is intended for a CD.
I don't now if one can simply move ISO files between DVD and CD media. I would be interested in the results if you do decide to go ahead with this, for other reasons. I've been wondering if I could create a SVCD disk on DVD or a small DVD format disc on CD, but my burning software (Nero 6) seems to insist that SVCD only goes on CD and DVD video only goes on DVD. Making an ISO and then writing it to the wrong media might let me get away with this, but I haven't had the time to experiment with it yet.
Exactly what you think you will gain by writing the CD ISO to a DVD is not clear however. From past tests I have done I know that you can write a bootable ISO to a CD and leave the disk unfinished. It will still boot and you can write an additional session later. It seems likely that if the ISO works at all on DVD then this will be the same for the DVD. But after writing the second session to a CD (I had used the 50 meg Damn Small Linus as my ISO), I found that the CD would not longer boot. Something in writing that second session changes the disc and makes it unbootable. So while I would be glad to hear the results of your tests, I can't see what you hope to acomplish by writing to a DVD (unless you were writing to a DVD+RW or DVD-RW because you didn't have a 700 meg CD-RW, and if that were the case I would guess you would have just done a test rather than post and wait for someone to get back to you).
Be sure you check that md5 sum, burn the iso as an image, and burn at a slow speed like 4x. Good Luck.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00