Hi all,
i am currently getting mad. I have been trying for four days to get my HDD back to be at least readable, but it won't work. As i know the Unix/Linux basics, i tried Knoppix (not for the first time) to restore my data and tried everything in this forum that appeared in any way to be a possible solution.

My Win XP System worked without problems until i came home and the system told me a dozen or more times that a data loss occurred while writing to partition c:.
Well after i tried to reboot the system did not come up with anything, it just rebootet again. I ran chkdsk on all partitions of the physical drives which all were messed up.
chkdsk tells me that at least one unrecoverable error exists on the disk. The first three steps seem to repair the partition, but the fourth comes up with the described error. At last chkdsk tries to write to the file of lost clusters, but then tells me, that it could not change the protocol file size.
I tried Partition Magic's function to check a partition and it tells me that some sectors could not be found and finds even some lost clusters. But if try to repair the lost clusters, just a bunch of new lost clusters appear.

After botting into Knoppix (which works without problems) the messed up partitions can be mounted and i even can see the directory structure. I tried to copy the files onto my external HDD and the system tells me, that it could not read the data for some files.
sudo gpart/dev/hda shows the following error: *** Fatal error: cannot get sector size on dev(/dev/hda).
sudo fdisk /dev/hda tells me that it could not read /dev/hda

I am at the edge of madness and would appreciate any detailed (and quick ) help as i do know the Linux/Unix basics, but i am not that experienced with it. I am going mad! Please help! I do not have a second computer and as my Notebook has only on CD-RW drive i cannot burn any disks with Knoppix as it needs the Knoppix disc in the drive permanently... I do not want to restore the system to be up and running the old installation! I just want to have my data back!


Thanks in advance!