-
laptop installation without bootable cd-rom
hi fellows!
i found this one: windows partition pmi.
(http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)
workstation is installed (c converted to ntfs) and i can choose some options in grub.
but there always follows a "cannot mount selected partition".
i played around with things like hd (0,0) and hd (0.1), but no success.
c: is first partition, but in front of it are about 8 mb, which cannot be formated or deleted or partitioned. simply unallocated.
my configuration
thinkpad notebook, 192 mb ram,
20 gb hd
(6 gb ntfs; c:
- 6 gb data fat32; d:
8 gb unused)
multiboot on c with win98 and w2k.
hope this information helps you to help me. is it possible to start any other distribution in iso-format with this pmi?
thanks in advance
radi
-
FTP a Knoppix ISO onto the computer you describe above.
From a working Linux system (or Live CD) make a boot floppy:Put the boot floppy into the computer you described, and when LILO comes up, use:
Code:
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNX.iso
... well, that's what the Cheat Codes say:
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix...cheatcodes.txt
-
Senior Member
registered user
you might have to rename the iso to KNX.iso
-
Junior Member
registered user
This is what I did.
I got a laptop 44 pin to IDE 40 pin adapter and installed my laptop harddrive in a desktop computer with a bootable CDROM. Make sure the hard disk is HDA1. You have no use for the computer's original HDD for this step anyway.
I then used the standard tools for creating a HD installation of Knoppix.
I then reinstalled the disk drive in the laptop. So far, except for wireless networking, everything works fine. (If anyone can help with the wireless thing, please se my post inthe Networking forum
)
-
Junior Member
registered user
I finally got my Presario 2100 with a present but DOA internal cd to work with a USB CDROM. I had to set the BIOS to boot: 1) CD 2) removable device. I also had to set the USB to "legacy ON" The latter is most likely die to the USB CDROM being kind of old.
I then had to use Knoppix 3.7 rather than 3.8. I discovered that the 2.6 kernel didnt like my setup. Using the 2.4 kernel (i.e. knoppix vs knoppix26) I had to use the cheatcode "Knoppix bootfrom=/dev/scd0"
Once KDE came up I could then partition and install.
The final oddity is that from the LILO prompt I have to use the 2.6 kernel boot or I get a black screen (weird) But so far so good.
-
uff... thx guys... seems to be a kind of "from behind through the chest into your eye" work... i will give feedback when i got about 4 weeks time...
-
Grube
I also try to use Grube but i dont understand the guide.
The guide says: "Copy the files and folders from the "RootOfNTFS" folder into the root of your C: drive, except for boot.ini"
That must mean (C
.
This is here my problem start: "While you're in the root of your C: drive, find the boot.ini file and copy it to boot.old"
I cant find any .ini file and the Grube package didnt contain any boot.old folder.
Iam using Windows XP pro. Cant the root be system or system32? But i tried to find the .ini ther too.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Grube

Originally Posted by
T_H_E_O_N_E
I also try to use Grube but i dont understand the guide.
The guide says: "Copy the files and folders from the "RootOfNTFS" folder into the root of your C: drive, except for boot.ini"
That must mean (C

.
This is here my problem start: "While you're in the root of your C: drive, find the boot.ini file and copy it to boot.old"
I cant find any .ini file and the Grube package didnt contain any boot.old folder.
Iam using Windows XP pro. Cant the root be system or system32? But i tried to find the .ini ther too.
Hi,
pls try doing "attrib -r -h -s c:\boot.ini" from a command console in windoze to make the file visible.
You may want to search "attrib ntfs "boot.ini"" in google for more on the attrib command (i don't
know much about it, as I access it from a linux installation). The thread to follow and post in
concerning grube.zip method is:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...0320f17ad508ab
Good luck, and please post there or here if you need more help, or if you succeed.
Tom
Similar Threads
-
By RedWagon in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-30-2007, 02:00 AM
-
By edward in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2007, 10:40 AM
-
By chris_andrew in forum Laptops
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
-
By radschlaeger in forum German Forum
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99