Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I have broken package in synaptic?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12

    I have broken package in synaptic?

    I used module-assistant to update alsa and it has seemed to changed something but not the reason I tried to upgrade...I want to get sounds from two or more apps to play together, instead of queued??

    I didn't fix that but now I have synaptic telling me I have a broken package and I need to install alsa-utils...I try but get

    Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    ....so until I can fix this error I can't fix the broken package error?

    My sound system is working ok except I can't get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together??

    can you help with any of these problems??


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Can't speak to your wish to "get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together"... but if you really want to nuke the "knx-alsa" package in order to install the "alsa-utils" package, you could try

    # apt-get -s remove knx-alsa

    (the "-s" option just simulates it), and if that doesn't generate any errors, then

    # apt-get remove knx-alsa && apt-get install alsa-utils

    and cross your fingers. (Let us know if sound still works!)

    (I'm running a Knoppix variant named Kanotix, which is based totally on Debian Sid and is designed to have fewer problems upgrading than Knoppix does. The "knx-alsa" and "alsa-utils" packages are both installed.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together
    I don't think this is possible!

    But you know that the 2.6 option on Knoppix (and AFAIK the most recent Kanotix) install Alsa by default because it's now part of the 2.6 kernel?

Similar Threads

  1. Build a package from the source package (samba 3.2.3-3)
    By johnrw in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 03:19 AM
  2. is it me or is the timidity package broken?
    By true1ever in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
  3. Synaptic question
    By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 04:49 AM
  4. GUI for APT - SYNAPTIC
    By legal in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM
  5. Synaptic
    By Fortran in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |  picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |

$79.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00