-
Junior Member
registered user
I have broken package in synaptic?
I used module-assistant to update alsa and it has seemed to changed something but not the reason I tried to upgrade...I want to get sounds from two or more apps to play together, instead of queued??
I didn't fix that but now I have synaptic telling me I have a broken package and I need to install alsa-utils...I try but get
Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
....so until I can fix this error I can't fix the broken package error?
My sound system is working ok except I can't get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together??
can you help with any of these problems??
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can't speak to your wish to "get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together"... but if you really want to nuke the "knx-alsa" package in order to install the "alsa-utils" package, you could try
# apt-get -s remove knx-alsa
(the "-s" option just simulates it), and if that doesn't generate any errors, then
# apt-get remove knx-alsa && apt-get install alsa-utils
and cross your fingers. (Let us know if sound still works!)
(I'm running a Knoppix variant named Kanotix, which is based totally on Debian Sid and is designed to have fewer problems upgrading than Knoppix does. The "knx-alsa" and "alsa-utils" packages are both installed.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
get say desktop sound and audacity or xmms playing together
I don't think this is possible!
But you know that the 2.6 option on Knoppix (and AFAIK the most recent Kanotix) install Alsa by default because it's now part of the 2.6 kernel?
Similar Threads
-
By johnrw in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-17-2008, 03:19 AM
-
By true1ever in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
-
By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 04:49 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM
-
By Fortran in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max
$199.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$599.00

Netgate 2100 pfSense Firewall Appliance w/ Power Adapter w/Storage Upgrade
$187.50

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC
$4.49

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed
$724.63

HP ProLiant DL360P G8 Server 2.60Ghz 16-Core 96GB 2X 300GB Enterprise (Renewed)
$140.00