Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't find File System

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can't find File System

    When I try to use Knoppix on my computer, it says, "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry, dropping you to a (very limiteed) shell. Additional built in commands available
    car mount umount insmod immod kmod"

    So the Knoppix live CD doesn't work, so do I have to redownload the iso, or am I doing something wrong? The only thing I change during bootuip is I change it to framebuffer 800x600 because my monitor only suppports 800x600 resolution, but it's not a laptop.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I realize that you are new and I certainly don't expect you to know everything but this question asked & answered many many times. In the future, please use the
    Search | Profile | Private Messages | Log out (username) | Forum FAQ located at the top of the page.

    That said, I found this post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=dropping by searching for dropping.
    Here is my suggestion for you:
    Knoppix does the very best it can to automatically figure out what hardware the PC has & it does this without human intervention. In your case you will need to tell knoppix to boot with certain settings called Cheat Codes http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes.
    Knoppix by default tried to enable DMA so that you can have a faster system. In many many cases, if the CDROM drive does not support DMA then it fails to load the CD. To get around this I boot knoppix with the following cheat codes:
    knoppix nodma
    knoppix nodma noapic
    knoppix failsafe

    (In my example, to use the 2.6 kernel you can substitute knoppix26 for knoppix)

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Sorry I didn't look first, next time I will, now I'm off to start Knoppix...

    and thank you

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find Knoppix File System
    By Clark in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM
  2. Knoppix cannot find file system
    By snippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Can't find KNOPPIX file system
    By Spool32 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. Can't Find KNOPPIX File System..
    By MR.Error in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
  5. HELP..... Knoppix can't find File System
    By BiggJeff74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Compaq Contura 430cx Vintage Laptop 9.5

Compaq Contura 430cx Vintage Laptop 9.5" Intel 486DX2 50MHz Windows 95 Working

$150.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Amdahl Computer Chip Lucite Paperweight Air Cooled Logic Chip picture

Vintage Amdahl Computer Chip Lucite Paperweight Air Cooled Logic Chip

$89.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Dell Latitude XPi CD P150ST Vintage Computer - Not Working picture

Dell Latitude XPi CD P150ST Vintage Computer - Not Working

$70.00



Sealed Vintage Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapters Drivers CD Ver 3.1 Vintage PC NEW picture

Sealed Vintage Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapters Drivers CD Ver 3.1 Vintage PC NEW

$39.61



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00