How can I tell these application which distribution(woody/sarge/sid) to look for ? I have debootstrap a woody distribution but want to upgrade the applications to sarge/sid(or testing/unstable).
thanks in advance.
How can I tell these application which distribution(woody/sarge/sid) to look for ? I have debootstrap a woody distribution but want to upgrade the applications to sarge/sid(or testing/unstable).
thanks in advance.
edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and change "stable" or "woody" to "testing" or "unstable", example:
Change the line:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
to:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
or:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
HTH
rock
That works, thanks.
I noticed that KNOPPIX use a some what different method by listing all (stable/testing/unstable) sources and use apt.conf to control what default to choose from.
I am wondering if it this case, there is any application which present the information in a nice way such that I can from one single interface to choose which distribution to pick from. Or may be I need to fallback to apt-get(which is a command line utility) pick which distribution to download from.
I only know and use apt-get, in knoppix since it has multiple repositories listed, ie: stable, testing and unstable; to install a package from the unstable repository you would use:
apt-get -t unstable install *packagename
Note: you would use " -t unstable " for sid, and " -t stable " for woody otherwise the default in apt.conf is used which is testing. My knoppix 3.1 1-20 release has the following line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
APT:efault-Release "testing";
...
so by default when you use apt-get install it would look in the testing repository.
HTH
rock
thanks again. Seems that I better stick with the command line which I have been using for quite some time.
You may want to look at pinning - works for me:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
HTH
Steve
![]()

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93