How can I tell these application which distribution(woody/sarge/sid) to look for ? I have debootstrap a woody distribution but want to upgrade the applications to sarge/sid(or testing/unstable).
thanks in advance.
How can I tell these application which distribution(woody/sarge/sid) to look for ? I have debootstrap a woody distribution but want to upgrade the applications to sarge/sid(or testing/unstable).
thanks in advance.
edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and change "stable" or "woody" to "testing" or "unstable", example:
Change the line:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
to:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
or:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
HTH
rock
That works, thanks.
I noticed that KNOPPIX use a some what different method by listing all (stable/testing/unstable) sources and use apt.conf to control what default to choose from.
I am wondering if it this case, there is any application which present the information in a nice way such that I can from one single interface to choose which distribution to pick from. Or may be I need to fallback to apt-get(which is a command line utility) pick which distribution to download from.
I only know and use apt-get, in knoppix since it has multiple repositories listed, ie: stable, testing and unstable; to install a package from the unstable repository you would use:
apt-get -t unstable install *packagename
Note: you would use " -t unstable " for sid, and " -t stable " for woody otherwise the default in apt.conf is used which is testing. My knoppix 3.1 1-20 release has the following line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
APT:efault-Release "testing";
...
so by default when you use apt-get install it would look in the testing repository.
HTH
rock
thanks again. Seems that I better stick with the command line which I have been using for quite some time.
You may want to look at pinning - works for me:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
HTH
Steve
![]()

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99